Part 2 Chapter 3

Shiro hesitated when he raised his fist to gently knock on the front door of Gordy's family's home. He left Asa and Kaiyu to whatever they had planned to go see Gordy for himself, but he didn't know exactly why he wanted to see her. The last time he'd knock on this door he was covered in chilling rain water and nothing more than skin and bone; it was a time he was the most desperate. But what if she doesn't answer and its that bastard of a father that chased him out the last time?

He knocked softly on the door and waited quietly under the blooming storm clouds starting to drift in from the east. He heard the door creak open and he looked up to see Gordy standing in front of him. Her hair was nearly as long as the tight layered dress she wore with a long matching sleeve covering her right arm and short black high heels. He didn't hesitate before wrapping his arms around her shoulders and covering his face into the crook of her neck. She didn't return the hug, but she didn't push away either.

He moved away and glanced behind him for any lurking guards or anybody for that matter, but it was all clear. Gordy grabbed his wrist before he could go any further and guided him silently through the house and into the dining room. Shiro sat at the oak table and watched as Gordy closed the curtains to cover up the windows before taking a seat on the other side of the table opposite from him.

"Why did you come back?" She asked, folding her hands atop the hand knitted place mat that looked like they were made recently. "Listen, Miss-" He said before Gordy placed her hand up to silence him, "come on, Shiro. We're not children anymore nor do you work here, so just drop "Miss" when around me." He huffed and gulped down a large bulb in his throat, "Listen, Gordy..." He repeated, "Asa's here, too. She plans on reclaiming the throne from Taura, she's going to save everyone." He explained, removing his hood from his face. She only shook her head, "I get what she's doing is good and all but she'll end up like her mother. There's no way to beat her without the Heart of the Sea." She explained, her golden eyes piercing through his own greys.

"But what if I were to say that Asa has it? What is her probability of winning?" He asked slowly. Gordy seemed to think for a moment but before she could open her mouth the front door opened and she was trying to hide him under the table and out of sight. "No." He said plainly, standing up, "I won't let him drive me away again." 

Gordy's father walked into the dining room and dropped down his bag of books next to him and give Shiro a death glare, "What are you doing here again, stall boy?" He growled, taking two longs steps towards Shiro and pushing him against the wall by the scruff of his coat, "I said what are you doing here?" Gordy tried to get in the middle of it but she only got a shove by her father in return, "Father stop, he isn't doing anything so just stop it." She mumbled using her arms to hide her face behind.

"This boy lied to us all and what was I to do but make sure he doesn't cause a problem for my family." Her father let go of Shiro and came up to his daughter, "I wasn't about to let him hurt-" "Like you hurt mom!?" She yelled back. That only made him more furious and he raised his hand and Gordy braced herself but the hit never came. She looked up slowly to see coral vines wrapped around her father's arms keeping them in place by Shiro. "Shiro?" She muttered slowly in disbelief.

"Take your sleeve off." Shiro ordered to Gordy who was hesitant at first but was compliant and slid it down to her wrist. Scars and bruises scarred her arm from her wrist all the way up to her shoulder, but he could only imagine there were some on her hands and fingers, too. He didn't say anything when he released her father who's expression became very grim and regretful.

He slumped down in the nearest chair and only looked down at the rough markings made in the edges of the table.

----------