XVI. Nylie

IT WAS HER MOTHER.

"How are you here?" Nylie asked, suddenly very cold. The Daize did nothing to shield her from the icy look her mother was giving her.

"You think I wouldn't know," she said softly, walking up to her. "You think I wouldn't be able to sense your presence once you arrived here.

"You always underestimate me, my dear," her mother crooned, slowly walking towards her. "Of course, I knew the moment you arrived in Paravald. This world is my eyes and my ears. You should know that already."

Nylie glared at her. "Maybe I just didn't give a damn if you knew or not."

Ivory chuckled. "Sounds like you have the same sharp tongue you had two years ago. Where is that devilish sister of yours?"

"Safe in Wayward. Where she belongs," Nylie snapped.

Her mother scoffed. "I doubt that."

Nylie stiffened. "You did something. I know you find ways to hurt people, even in Wayward. What did you do to her?"

"Now why would I do something to my own daughter?"

"I don't know," Nylie said dryly. "Maybe because you're evil and you've always hated us?"

Ivory shrugged. "Perhaps."

"What. Did. You. Do."

"Oh, nothing. I'm only saying that I doubt Angelina would wait patiently for you to get back. If you ever get back."

"She's reckless, but she's not an idiot."

"You aren't aware of your sister's Gift yet, are you?" Ivory said, a wicked gleam in her eye.

Nylie crossed her arms. "Why does it matter?"

"It does not matter to me," her mother replied airily. "But if you cared for Angelina--as I'm sure you do, though you try your very best to hide it--you might've taken more caution to make sure she stayed in Wayward. Perhaps you might have. But since you don't know what Gift she possesses, you have already failed to protect her."

Nylie gritted her teeth. This is what her mother always did. She always had to have the upper hand. Always had to use some sort of knowledge against her.

"Then why don't you tell me what her Gift is?"

Ivory chuckled. "You know I can't."

Nylie wanted to go right up to her mother and rip that smirk off her face. She took a slow, deep breath.

"What are you doing here, Ivory?"

Her mother only smiled at her. As if accepting a challenge.

"I only came here to warn you. Like a mother would warn her daughter."

Nylie laughed coldly. "Some mother you are."

"Don't you know?" Ivory goaded. "Angelina was meant to come here. It has already been written in the Stellae Liber. That means it will happen, no matter what is done to stop it."

Nylie froze. "That's not true. Angel's at home, she's--"

Ivory clucked her tongue. "Naive, naive girl. Did you really think she would listen to you, of all people? If anything, you instructing her to stay home has only made her desire to come back even stronger. She is already on her way."

Nylie's hands began to shake. Whatever else might've gone wrong--her and the others failing their mission, none of them making it back--it would have been alright. They would've figured something out. But if Angel was coming, putting herself in danger--