Monday, April 6, 2020

"I can't believe you confronted him like that," Shea says to Orion as they sit on Jasmine's front porch. "I don't know what came over me," Orion says, astonished himself. Shea looks at him, smiling. "I'm proud of you, kiddo. Leo would be too." Orion grins appreciatively before taking a deep breath. "I need a lawyer." Shea nods, biting his lower lip. "Yes, you do," he agrees. Orion stares at him for a moment. "Well? Any suggestions?" Shea sighs, shaking his head. "Not yet," he says. "What about JJ?" Orion asks hopefully. "JJ's in no shape to go toe-to-toe with Bert," Shea says. Orion frowns. "Dominic?" Shea shakes his head. "He's got his hands full with Elian, plus he's the mayor so I don't think he could take on your father even if he wanted to. Bert has too much influence." Dejected, Orion looks out across the street. "Hey," Shea says, "chin up. We'll figure this out." Orion nods, swallowing hard. Micah pops his head out the door. "Shiloh's hungry," he says. Shea chuckles, getting up. "I guess I ought to feed the kid," he says. "I should get going anyway," Orion says. "I'll talk to you soon." Orion leaves, and Shea starts to walk in, but Micah stops him, grabbing him and dipping him into a passionate kiss. Giggling, Shea looks up at him. "What was that for?" "You looked like you needed it," Micah says. "I did," Shea whispers, leaning up and kissing Micah again. "Dad! I'm hungry!" Shiloh screams from inside, interrupting. "Coming," Shea calls, heading inside as Micah closes the door behind him.

At Vinegar Hill Park, Damian and Scott stand off to the side as Junior, Henry, and Rebecca play on the playground. "They really needed this," Scott says. "Honestly, they're going stir crazy stuck in the house all day, and they're getting sick of one another's company." "It's tough on them. Hell, it's tough on me," Damian says. "Kyoko and Violet still at each other's throats?" Scott asks him. "They've brokered a fragile peace," Damian sighs, "but thank God for it. They're actually doing an at-home spa day with Emma right now." Scott raises an eyebrow, causing Damian to laugh. "Manicures, pedicures, Violet said something about trying to thread Emma's eyebrows, whatever that means. Man, I don't know." "Well I'm glad they're getting along," Scott says, laughing. Hallie, out for a run, jogs by, stopping when she sees them. "What the hell do you think you're doing?" she screams from the sidewalk. They turn, surprised. Damian looks at Scott, who is equally confused. "She must be talking to you," he says. Scott rolls his eyes, walking towards her. "Stop," she says, holding up her hand, "stay at least six feet away." Scott sighs, but complies. "Is that because of social distancing or because you can't stand to be near me?" he asks. "Both," she says sharply. "You shouldn't be here, Scott." She looks towards Damian, raising her voice so he can hear her. "Neither of you should be." "The kids need fresh air," Scott says. "You have a back yard," Hallie snaps. "I am in that hospital busting my ass to help keep people alive. The least you can do in return is stay home." "Relax, Hal, we're the only ones here," Damian says, walking towards her. She again holds up her hand, stopping him. "This is stupid," she says angrily. "You don't know who else has been here, sneezing and spitting and coughing on the same swings and slides your kids are playing on now. Go home, wash your hands, and stay there. I mean it guys. People are dying This is not a game." She jogs off, leaving Scott and Damian looking thoroughly chastised.

At Centennial Village, Aidan is studying on his bed while Jimmy lays on his, thumping a ball off the ceiling. "This sucks," he says. "Nothing we can do about it, though," Aidan says, turning the page of his textbook. "How long is this stupid pandemic supposed to last?" Aidan looks up at him in disbelief. "A while," he says. "I miss my friends. I miss my girlfriend. I miss not being in this stupid apartment." "We're all in the same boat," Aidan says. "Yeah but you're used to this," Jimmy tells him. "Excuse me?" Aidan asks. "I mean you've always been a nerd. Staying in and reading and studying, you like that stuff. You didn't really have a social life before this." "I hang out with Brent, Angelica, Ramona," aidan protests. "How much have you hung out with them since Delaney and Brent broke up?" Jimmy asks. Aidan stares at him, struggling to come up with an answer. "Exactly. All you do is go to the library. I'm not like you. I need a life." He catches the ball with one hand, rolling over and grabbing his phone with the other. "What are you doing?" Aidan asks. "FaceTiming Violet," Jimmy says. As the phone starts ringing, Aidan sighs, frustratedly closing his textbook and walking out of the room.

In the kitchen, Karen is looking in an empty freezer when Aidan walks out. "What do you want for dinner?" she asks. "I was thinking we could have ice cubes." He looks at her, dumbfounded. "Is it really that bad?" "It's about to be," she says, closing the freezer. "We've got ramen though, so we'll be okay for a little bit." He sighs, sitting down at the table. "This isn't going to work, Mom." "Sure it will," she says, "we'll doctor it up with a little siracha and some cut up hot dog for bulk." He looks at her in disbelief. "Not the ramen. This. Me in school, not working." "Don't you start that," Karen protests, "you being in school is exactly where you should be." "We need money—" "—and I'll find some," she says, squeezing his arm. "Aidan you spent too much of your life looking after me and your siblings. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. You are not throwing it away, do you hear me?" He sighs. "We need help," he says. She nods. "I know. Luke's already agreed to send some money. That should get us through at least a little bit." He looks at her, surprised. "You asked Luke for money?" "Don't ever mention this to Jimmy," she says, laughing. "Mom, I—" "no," Karen says firmly. "This is my problem, Aidan, not yours. Let me be the parent for once."