Friday, February 14, 2020

It's the day of Hallie's and Scott's wedding, and Hallie and her bridesmaids are busy getting ready at Lucretia's. Jasmine brings in champagne, but Hera declines, feeling slightly hungover from the night before. They gush over Hallie, who has just finished hair and makeup. "You look like a movie star," Jasmine says excitedly. Lucretia sits silently in the corner. Monica asks if she's alright. "No," she says, "but it's too late to help it."

Meanwhile, Scott is already at the church with the groomsmen. "Well, we're about to be actual bros," Wade jokes. Damian brings out a bottle of bourbon, pouring them all a shot. "Another one bites the dust," he says, and they all down their drinks. "Won't be long until we're all hitched," Damian says, slapping Wade on the back. "Not all of us," Wade laughs, nodding towards Dominic. Dominic forces a smile.

At Flynn House, Carol comes downstairs all dressed and ready to go. Finding JJ in sweats and a tee-shirt, she asks why he isn't dressed. "I'm not going," he says. "It'll be good for you to get out of the house," she insists. "And have everyone either staring at me or screaming at me?" he scoffs. "Hard pass." The doorbell rings. Caroline opens it, finding Hank, who kisses her hand and gives her a rose. "Come on, Aunt Carol," she says, glaring at JJ. "You can come with us."

Leeza and Elian are playing Uno in his room. "I'm sorry you have to miss the wedding," she says. "I'm not," he laughs. "You seem to be feeling better today," she says. "I just feel kind of numb about it. Like, I don't feel anything. Is that bad?" She smiles. "No, honey, that's normal when you lose someone. It's your mind's way of protecting itself from the grief."

Guests are already starting to arrive at the church. Tim, Diane, and Stacey run into Belinda and Marvin outside. "Such a lovely day for a wedding," Stacey says cheerfully. Marvin stares at her. "It's raining, Stacey." She points out that's supposed to be lucky. Inside, Micah and Shiloh watch a video on his phone while Shea straightens Deacon's tie. "I don't even know why I have to wear this," Deacon grumbles. "Because it's a wedding, you oaf," Shea snaps. "You know, Shiloh is your son, right? Not me," Deacon says. Shea is not amused. "I couldn't tell the way you're acting."

Zoe is frantically looking for Johnny's shoes when Nasreen arrives. She apologizes for interrupting, asking if she can borrow a blender. "I still can't find half of what I packed," she says. Zoe leads her into the kitchen, saying she understands. "Moving is never easy, especially across the world." Nasreen tells her they actually moved from Chicago. "Really? I grew up in Kenilworth," Zoe says, excited to meet another Chicagoan and noting that Arcadia is quite a big change from the city. "You're telling me," Nasreen says. Zoe finds the blender.

Hallie comes out in her wedding dress, stopping the conversation amongst the bridesmaids. "You look stunning," Jasmine says. Hera starts crying, which causes the others to laugh. "Mom?" Hallie asks. Lucretia has tears in her eyes as she nods. "Beautiful, baby. You look beautiful." Monica says they need to get to the church.

Zoe shows Nasreen out, stopping on the front porch. Nasreen thanks her, but Zoe says she should be the one thanking Nasreen. "For what?" Nasreen asks, confused. "I considered what you said about marriage the other week. I think I'm ready." Nasreen is glad to have been helpful. They're interrupted by the wedding party coming out of Lucretia's house, turning their attention to Hallie, who is being helped down the steps by her bridesmaids. Hallie looks up, catching Zoe's eye. "You look beautiful!" Zoe hollers. Hallie freezes for a moment, but quickly comes to her senses. "Thanks," she dismissively calls. "That was rude," Nasreen says, but Zoe insists it wasn't. "There's a lot of history there." Nasreen laughs, catching Zoe off guard. "Sorry. I just hear that a lot in this town."

At the church, the groomsmen are still talking about marriage. "Do you think you'll ever get married again?" Wade asks Dominic. "I want to, but I don't think Zoe does." This piques Scott's interest, and he asks why. "She says after what happened with JJ she doesn't want to go through that again." Damian says he can't blame her. "You weren't even around then," Scott says skeptically. "No, but I heard all about it from Dad, and then from Zoe. It was brutal. After that, I'm not sure I'd want to get married again either."

Shiloh, Henry, and Rebecca are running around the nave. Tim and Diane walk up behind Shea. "He must get that from Bethany," Tim says, pointing at Shiloh, "because you were never that rambunctious." Shea laughs. "I know I was a handful." Only as a teenager, Tim says. He invites Shea and Micah to sit with them on the other side of the aisle, but Shea declines. "I've got Vanderpol in my name," he says, "Bert would blow a gasket if I didn't sit on the groom's side." This clearly bothers Tim, but he doesn't push it, leading Diane back over to their pew. Elsewhere in the sanctuary, Marvin watches as Belinda and Kyoko chat. Stacey nudges him, asking what's wrong. "That guy Belinda was with last night, you don't think..." but he can't finish the thought. He doesn't need to, though. "Don't be silly," Stacey says, "Belinda loves you."

The bridesmaids and Hallie arrive in the limo, heading in through the back. Hallie stops at the door, taking a deep breath. "Baby, what is it?" Lucretia asks. "Nothing. Nerves, I guess," Hallie says, steeling herself and walking inside.

Reverend Carlson walks into the grooms' room. Wade quickly hides the bourbon, but the Reverend sees it anyway. "It's fine," he promises, "this isn't my first rodeo." He tells Scott that Hallie has arrived, so they should be starting soon. As he leaves, Zoe enters with Johnny. Dominic is surprised to see her, but she says that she needs a word before the wedding. He asks if something happened with Elian, but Zoe promises that isn't it.

JJ goes to The Box to buy a bottle of whiskey. He bumps into a very hungover Brent. "Rough night?" he asks. Brent nods. "Hair of the dog?" he offers, holding up the bottle. Brent considers it for a moment. "What the hell?"

Roberta and Maria arrive at the hospital to see Elian. Leaving the teens alone to catch up, Roberta asks Leeza if she's booked a flight yet. "I have. But I am finding it hard to tell him I'm going. I don't want to leave." Roberta is sympathetic. "I haven't always been your biggest fan," Roberta admits, "but Elian is lucky to have you, Leeza." Leeza smiles, thanking her.