Chapter 4

I parked Eliza's car in her garage and made sure I grabbed my bag before I closed the garage door. I left through the side door and walked across the yard to the small parking lot of the bed and breakfast. It was quiet in the common room. Mary the day attendant sat on one of the flower print couches reading a historical romance novel. I chose not to bother her so I went up to my room without telling her.

I wondered how my parents were doing as I put a towel, a bottle of water, and a flashlight in my beach bag. I sort of wished I hadn't smashed my cellphone into a hundred tiny pieces, but I knew it was for the best. If the people I knew in Florida didn't know Eliza's number they couldn't contact me. It was perfect because I didn't even think my dad had her number. And they were brother and sister.

I traded my flats for white flip-flops before I headed out and locked the door behind me. I smiled at Mary when she waved. Her attention turned immediately back to her novel, so I didn't bother trying to make small talk. I walked to the beach enjoying the feel of the gentle breeze as it caressed my arms and legs. It was a warm breeze, so I worked up a sweat in no time.

I spread out the towel in a space with lots of space and dropped my bag on it. I had just enough time to take a quick swim before the water got too chilly. I took off the dress and my shoes and placed them on the towel. I walked to the edge of the water and sighed in relaxation when the warm water hit my toes. I stopped when I got waist deep. I had just closed my eyes when somebody called my name.

I looked in the direction I thought I heard the voice coming from and saw Travis standing on the dock about thirty feet away from me. He was smiling and waving. I smiled back at him and mentally rolled my eyes. Why couldn't I relax? I groaned when he sat on the edge of the dock, lowered himself slowly into the water, and waded over to me. Luckily he was oblivious to my inner feelings. Travis was basically the only person my age that I could talk to around here. Even my cousin had a sour attitude towards me. Which I didn't deserve.

"Hey. Did you enjoy you potato salad less meal?"

"Yes," He smiled and there was a long moment of silence before he added, "Are you going to the fireworks tonight?"

"I don't think so," I wrinkled my nose and shrugged, "If it was any other night I would, but watching fireworks on the Fourth of July is overrated."

"That's because it's an American tradition," Travis was wasting his time defending this matter.

"Well it's a personal tradition of mine to avoid fireworks tonight," I realized I was being a bitch, but I didn't know a nicer way to say I didn't want to go.

"Okay well do you want to hangout? I promise it will be completely firework free." Yeah no kidding, I thought sarcastically.

"Travis," I sighed and thought of the right thing to say. I didn't want to offend him anymore, but I had to say it, "I want us to be friends, but just friends."

"That's fine," He smiled and glanced at the people on the beach, "Well I better get going. I'll see you around."

"Bye," I watched as he left the water. I regretted not just saying yes to his invitation. What the hell was wrong with me? I was supposed to be seizing the day, not destroying my relationships with the people around me. Oh great, I got out of the water, another personality trait I need to change.

--------------------------

Sorry guys it's really short but I probably won't update again for awhile. There hasn't been a lot of free time. Thanks for reading;)