I urge myself to speak but Ian beats me to it. He chuckles nervously before grabbing my hand. It's a very firm grip so I know not to pull away.

Mrs. Nichols, the only thing his mommy needs help with is telling the truth.”

When I helped him write it I didn't expect him to actually write it, if that makes sense. I expected him to say we loved and missed her or something similar. When I helped him with this he asked me who I missed and why. Well I told him I missed my mom because she can give me the help I need. I didn't expect him to literally write it out. I guess that's what happens when he overhears his daddy and I arguing over the letters he hid from me earlier.

Mrs. Hunt are you alright?”

Opening my eyes, I notice her brown irises frowning at me with concern. She reaches out to touch my shaking hand but I pocket it quickly.

I'm fine,” I swallow the heavy lump in my throat, trying to relieve my anxiety. If I keep focusing on Ian's harsh grasp then I'm going to have a panic attack.

We left shortly after Ian and Mrs. Nichols dissolved the issue. He brushed it off as Danny's wild imagination while I listened silently and fearfully. I knew what the note consisted of and Ian did too. And although I had no intentions of Danny telling his teacher, I'm kind of glad he did it. I'm not angry at him because he didn't realize the severity of Ian Hunt's wrath. He was just trying to help.

Just like I have every right to want to write my parents and tell them to help me. I have every right to want to go back home. To keep living my life with the love of my life, Jared Rogers. But now that we're here, it's going to be a million times harder to leave. I should have thought this through properly.

“In the famous words of JFK: Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.”

Elaine's poised words spill from her fraudulent tongue, knocking me out of my reverie. She makes me sick to my stomach when she tries to justify Ian's destructive behavior.

“I'm sure JFK didn't have a bruise around his neck when he said that,” I spit venomously.

“Of course he didn't,” she smirks at Ian then looks back at me. “He'd never let that happen,” her glance is a bit taunting. This isn't funny.

“Are you saying what I think you're saying?” It's not okay for Ian to hit me. It will never be okay.

“No, I'm only saying that change is possible if you let go of the past. You two can turn this entire thing around and become the perfect family we want you to be,” She leans forward, clasping her hand together before an eerie smile appears on her red lips.

“You want us to be?”

“Well, not just Martin and I but Ian also.” She tilts her head while pointing towards Ian.

He's leaning back in his chair. His hand is still clutching mine, kissing it softly.

“I'll give it a shot...I'll do it for Ava and Danny,” his brows pull together as if he's thinking hard.

“No, this isn't something that can change overnight, Elaine.” I try to pull out of his hold but he squeezes tighter. Wincing from the small pinch, I continue squirming uncomfortably.

“I don't know if you noticed, but I am a hell of lot better than I was before,” his voice is firm and authoritative. As if he demands I believe him.

“I just lost my temper, and for that I am sorry,” he apologizes in a hushed tone.

I want to tell him how much of a bullshit liar he is but I can't do that. That will only cause more arguing. So instead of being aggressively outspoken, I stop to think. I allow his words to settle in. All the times we argued over the stupidest things; whether it was the dishes being in the sink for too long, or not greeting him when he came home from work- he has never really hit me. Just pinned me against a wall or counter. Before that, I'd be lucky to be walking the next day. I remember every single day spent with Ian over the course of those three torturous months. And I remember an angrier, aggressive, possessive Ian. Not the calm, collected, undisturbed Ian sitting next to me now.