17:

17:

Trying to find my inner peace.

I got his blood stained between my teeth.

Raging winds blow me every which way.

Only to fall back into place.

You are where you're supposed to be.” My inner thoughts whisper to me. Like leaves in the wind, those words swirl around in my head.

I'm battling an internal war. In fact, I deem it the most dangerous kind of war of all. The kind that torments you until your soul withers away. It's a slow, painful wither. Because unlike a bullet to the head, this war doesn't end it all at once. It lingers like a cloud hovering over you. I know all this because the war is within myself.

They say we are our own worst enemies. Well, that is true because the burdening ache I'm feeling now is from more than my throbbing lips, twisting stomach, and jolting back. It's from my own sickening thoughts.

It was a few hours ago Ian and I started arguing again over Alec. After I put Danny to bed- sore and all- the house phone rang so I answered it. I didn't know it was Alec until Ian snatched the phone out of my hand.

I remember our heated words once I told him I wasn't expecting a call from the man at the center of our bickering. I remember his exact words right before I felt my jaw crack.

“You never were a good liar,” he breathes heavily, as if slapping me required so much effort. His dark orbs morph into disappointment the longer he glares at me.

“I'm not lying! I didn't give him our number!” I watch him step forward so I step back.

My shaky hands remain placed in front of my face in defense. I never could fight. And now this strong guy with the strength of two men is standing before me, ready to make me his punching bag.

It happens faster than a strike of lightning. My entire body falls backwards. I release a slow groan before recovering quicker than expected. My bruised body crawls to the next room. The dining room. I'm still aching from his earlier assault.

My palms and knees echo against the marble floor while my panting crescendos. Frantically searching the room, I see a safe spot; a closet. But by the time my fingers wrap around the knob I'm grabbed by my waist.

“N-no. No!” I scream when he carries me to the stairs.

“Shhh babe, you'll wake my kid.”

I shiver in disgust at his amused tone. The walk to the bedroom isn't long enough.

The echo of the locks clicking forces my body into defense mode. As he kisses me, I clamp down on his tongue. His scarlet poison seeps into my tongue, giving me a chance to run.

“Playing dirty, are we?”

I make it to the door but to my dismay the only way to leave is to have his fingerprint unlock it. When did he install this new door?

“Well, two can play that game. I had new doors and windows installed.”

My chest rises quicker with each rough pull on the door. This can't be real, and yet, it is. How did this happen? How did I let it get to this point?

“I was trying so hard to keep you and Danny with me willingly. But after today; after I saw how quickly you'd run out on me, I see now that can't work.”

“But...but you said Alec was the reason you were mad at me. Because I looked at him during the meeting today,”

“He was adding fuel to the fire, Ava. But don't worry, he won't have gasoline for long.”