Chapter 29 - Wolfe

Start from the beginning

Coach scoffs and turns to me. "Now that Pryce is done bragging about his dick size, you and I will work on this some more."

"Come on, Coach. I was playing."

"Shut up and call Mitch. Make sure he has the safe house ready for today."

That sobers all of us up. I almost can't believe tomorrow we're going after Kane. I've waited for this moment for how fucking long? Decades. I was so used to looking for him that I can't even process not having to do that anymore. After tomorrow I can put this behind me for good. I just hope I come out on the better side of things.

"Okay, Emerson. Again," Coach instructs when Asher walks away with his phone to his ear. Coach notices the look on my face, getting in front of me and crossing his arms. "Something wrong, boy?"

I don't know why I've never questioned my actions before this moment. Maybe it was because up until now it was all theoretical. I could go crazy about finding my parents' murderer but so what? I wasn't actually going to do anything about it, right? Except now I am and this all feels more real. I can't shake what it is we're about to do.

"Am I doing the right thing?" I ask quietly. I swallow hard and look down at my shoes, embarrassed. I spent such a long time making a big deal out of this and now I'm having second thoughts. "We're taking a life tomorrow. How am I any better than Kane if I do this? What if he has family that will mourn him when he's gone just like I've mourned my parents? What if I become someone's Kane?"

Coach curses under his breath and puts his hand in my shoulder, guiding me to sit on one of the benches. He takes the seat beside me and levels me with a serious stare.

"Nothing about taking a life is easy. Even if the person deserves it or has done horrible things it still goes against human nature to take someone else's life. It ruins something inside of you. Humanity was never meant to kill or hurt each other and getting even only makes things worse. I understand your hesitation."

"So, you agree?" I twist my hands together anxiously. Coach's words only made me feel worse.

"Not necessarily," He blows out a breath, pausing like he's looking for the right words. "Kane...he took your life too, son. You might be alive but at what cost? You lived your life in fear, never speaking a word because of the trauma he caused, and as a result you lived detached from the real world. It's like you've been sleep walking and now you've finally woken up. You've embedded yourself back into life and naturally, you want answers. I think a man has a right to get his answers. So I tell you what — when we confront him tomorrow, you can decide what you want to do then. Maybe you want to take it all the way, maybe you want to make your peace and go. Either way this is dangerous until we know all the facts so let's not decide what you want to do just yet."

"Okay," I mumble. That makes more sense. It's true that I need to find answers and get some fucking closure from all this. I guess I really won't know what to do about this until I come face to face with him tomorrow. I glance over at Coach. "Thank you. I know you are risking your life and I'm sorry I put you in this position."

He squeezes my shoulder. "I'm sorry I didn't help you sooner. You know your grandfather spoke to me just a week or so before he passed?"

I suck in a breath at the mention of Gramps, turning to Coach. This is the first I'm hearing of this. Coach has always known about Gramps but I didn't think they ever made conversation.

"Great man," Coach continues fondly. "You'd just finished college and he was proud as hell of you. He came to see me, asked to speak with me in private. I don't know how but I guess he felt his time was coming. Said he was getting too old and it was only a matter of time. He asked me to look after you and make sure you weren't alone and I promised him I'd take care of you. So yeah, I'm happy to risk my life for you, Emerson. I do it out of respect for your grandfather and because you're like a son to me. All five of you assholes. You knuckleheads are my responsibility but it ain't no job. It's a privilege."