The Midnight Visit

(Year two, Spring)

The sun was setting in the village of Berk as Hiccup walked past a group of protesting vikings that were screaming with rage at the person who was currently locked up in Berk's holding cell. Toothless was by Hiccup's side as they both walked inside the dark room, where Hiccup could only see the outline of the prisoner. Trying to look unafraid, he approached the bar doors.

"Astrid said you wanted to see me?" asked Hiccup. The person gave a dark chuckle.

"What do you want, Alvin?"

Alvin answered in his dark and raspy voice, "I have a proposal for you Hiccup," getting up and stepping into the light.

"Oh, this should be good," said Hiccup sarcastically. But after all the craziness that just happened on Berk, he was almost out of options. Hiccup had no choice but to listen.

(Year two, Middle of Spring day 1)

In the dead of night, Merida was resting peacefully in her chambers, but was awoken by the sound of light tapping coming from outside her window. Merida was getting a bit annoyed when the noise didn't seem to be going away, she slowly pushed her sheets off, climbed out of bed and headed towards the window to investigate. Looking out her window, she spotted the wind pushing a small rock against the window that was making the tapping noise, and underneath it was a small parchment paper.

'How did this end up here' Merida thought to herself. Then gasped, "HICCUP!" and hurried to open the window and reach for the note. She grabbed it, brought it inside, and flipped it open.

The letter was simple yet she knew it was from her favorite viking.

"Meet me at the halfway point" was the only thing it read.

In a dash Merida grabbed her cloak, and quietly raced out of the castle, out through the back way where she knew no one would see her run off on Angus.

Quickly riding through the forest Merida could see the rings of stone just up ahead. Once reaching the edge of the stones Merida pulled on Angus rails to a hastily stop and climb off. She squinted her eyes to see through the fog that surrounded the circle. And in the center of the stones she could make out a small lantern that illuminated the figure of Toothless, then looking closer and seeing Hiccup sleeping against him.

Merida carefully walked over to Toothless making sure he noticed her, then carefully reaching over laying her hand on top of Hiccup's to wake him softly, then spoke first in almost a whisper "Hiccup? You're back?"

Hiccup woke and looked up at Merida with sleepy eyes, with his same geeky smile.

"It's good to see you, Merida... it's been a while."

Merida gasped with happiness and was at a loss for words and all she could do was jump on top of Hiccup and tackle him down for a hug. "It is you! How is Berk? how is everyone?" she asked, still whispering.

Hiccup laughed off the pain that came from that tackle, he was happy to hear all this worry from a princess who has never even been to Berk.

"We are all good... great! actually. I have so much to tell you about everything that happened and... I have something to show you".

Both still laying on the grass Hiccup leaned over reaching inside his' saddle and handed over something to Merida. In disbelief Merida held the real book of dragons once again.

"Book o' dragons?...but why did ya bring this back Hiccup? Ye said so yourself you didn't want to risk falling into Alvin's hands again?"

"I bought it because I wanted to show you...a new update to the book with a story to go along with it."