Chapter Seventeen-Slow Fade

*Aeolin's POV*

After the king leaves, I get dressed and grab my sword without feeling much of anything but shock. I'm able to happily greet Legolas, walk through some stretches, and unsheathe my sword before I realize I am absolutely livid.

"Just like with your bow, you must realize the sword is simply an extension of yourself. You breathe in then once all your breath leaves you is when you let the arrow fly. The bow and arrow are tied to breathing. The sword is more tied to your heart." I explain while slicing and dicing the manakin before me until it's headless. I glance at Legolas who gulps.

"Is anything wrong, mellon?" He asks gently and my head shakes.

"Just a little restless, little one. Now raise your sword." I instruct and he does so while moving across from me. "With each beat of your heart, you must move. Swordplay is like chess. Tactics matter just as much as strength and footwork. Wait a moment." I tell him and put a hand to my neck as he copies me. "Feel your heart. Know it well. Count the beats as you strike and never lose sight of it." We both wait a few moments as we steady ourselves.

Perhaps I was a fool for trusting my heart so freely. Perhaps I was a fool for giving so freely when the one I was giving to so rarely gave himself. Perhaps I should have left with Elrond when I had the chance. "Ready?" I ask my little leaf and he nods with just a touch of trepidation in his blue eyes. My sword flashes in the burgeoning afternoon light and blinds him as I slice down and stop just short of slicing his neck. "Use every weapon at your disposal. That includes your surroundings." I teach and he nods, steel entering his eyes as we begin again.

Steel clashes against steel in the garden but the fury in me just keeps building. I'm gentle with Legolas, I must be, but gentility does nothing to soothe me. I twirl the sword in my hands and Legolas' falls to the wayside. My tip lies over his heart and he sighs. "This is why you need the practice. Do not become frustrated at not being perfect at something you are learning." I encourage before movement calls my eyes to the side. I stiffen at the sight of the king but lower my weapon in respect. "King."

"Adar." Legolas greets him too, looking between the two of us for a hint to the clear tension in the air. I turn and walk to the line of weapons laid on a table before me, trading my sword for two wooden poles the same weight and size. The king emerges into the sunlight and catches the one I throw at him.

"Let us see how much the king of the woodland realm can handle." I dare him and settle into a stance. He scoffs and hands his sword to Legolas before moving across from me with those blue eyes simmering. I move first with a great shout before ducking under his swipe and getting a good jab to his ribs. I'm surprised. I didn't think I'd get a hit in so easily. We parry, left, right, left, right, left, left, until I faint and get a solid hit to his right thigh. Then I get the whiff of alcohol on his breath and nearly smirk. He's going down.

I rely heavily on reflexes now and strategic thinking. He's still got his strength, but his thoughts are clouded by anger and wine. I get two more hits in within the next two minutes and take a shot to my sore arm in order to deliver a hard blow to his gut. We're both panting, but we're both still angry.

"You're infuriating!" He shouts and I dodge his jab.

"Me? ME? You're petulant!" I shout back and force him to take two steps backward with a few solid hits to his pole. Suddenly we're locked together with the wood of the poles creaking as we fight for dominance.

"Petulant? You are the one who has goaded me from the start! With all your teases and banter and foolishness!"

"You are the foolish one! All I have ever been is honest!"