Chapter Sixteen-Darling

"Why were you not present at Elrond's leaving?" He asks a little while later, softly as if to disturb a single hair on my head would impede his progress.

"We spent much of the night with one another and he bid me to rest. He also knows I don't care for goodbyes and most likely wished to spare me from any negativity his leaving may have brought me." Fondness fills my heart for my dear friend before I'm distracted by Thranduil drawing tiny circles on my scalp after removing a pin just as I had done. A fond smile alights my face for a completely different reason when he meets my eyes in the mirror.

"And you are well?" He questions and I stop myself from nodding.

"I am." I agree and watch a small weight leave the king's shoulders. "That night, in the woods, I had a vision," I reveal and watch the shock roil in the blue depths of his sapphire eyes. "Lord Elrond experienced the same as I did for he'd reached out for my mind during your search." Thranduil nods slowly, trying to piece together a puzzle made completely from white tile.

"And I do not suppose that you would reveal this vision to me?" Thranduil asks gently without stilling his fingers. A smile tugs at the corner of my lips, but my head shakes marginally.

"I am afraid it will remain with me until I am certain how I feel about the contents." He nods instantly in acceptance and works out the last pin, delicately unbraiding my hair before pulling all the strands back behind me. He's so close, close enough that his spider silk hair falls over his shoulders and kisses mine. His eyes meet mine in the mirror.

"Have I satisfied you?" He whispers and I find my throat is suddenly dry. My eyes shut to break the connection as I swallow, but I can still feel him behind me. Hear him breathing softly. My eyes open again and are drawn to a slice of his hair that one of my curls has trapped within itself like a vine. Gingerly, I pick both up and know Thranduil's eyes follow me.

"Interesting how two things so opposite find a home within one another, isn't it?" I ask and look to that sharp blue yet again that pierces my heart.

"Yes." He breathes and the king's perfect posture is broken in an effort to remain close to me. Unable to stand the reflection anymore, my head turns to find us a ribbon's width apart. We're frozen as we stare into one another's eyes and breathe each other's air. That is until we hear a shout from the courtyard.

"Aeolin!" Legolas's voice is easy to recognize and drags me out of the stupor. I'm on my feet and at the balcony in a moment to find my little sapling waiting for me.

"I apologize for my lateness, little sapling. A few more minutes?" I ask and he bows in agreement with only a slightly quizzical look to my dress. The king is standing beside the chair when I turn around and I nearly laugh at us both. "Thank you for the...pins." I bid him lamely and his lips twitch.

"I'll assist in the stays on your dress if you'll allow me." He offers and my blood runs cold at the same moment that my skin seems to burst into flames. That smile he'd been fighting now begins to creep out at catching me off guard. Playing with me, is he?

"Expedient, my king." I approve and watch his confidence falter. My feet carry me before him before I turn my back and tug my long curls over my shoulder. He's seen me in my shift, so honestly, this is the more logical option rather than waiting for someone else to come help me.

"I'm your king now, am I?" He questions softly and I almost scoff at the attempt to regain control.

"Calling you mine does not mean I am your subject." I clear the thought from his mind and swallow the regret at being so open. Too open, perhaps. Nearly a minute passes before I feel his fingers on the stays and I nearly gasp at his touch. His hands are slow, slower than even when he handled the pins in my hair. My mind aches for conversation lest other thoughts consume me, but my mouth is frozen. All I can do is remain on my feet despite my swaying into his touch every time he tugs a sash from its loop.