Thirty

Sean sat at the kitchen counter, aimlessly scrolling through social media and sipping his coffee when he heard someone clambering down the stairs behind him. He didn't bother turning around, he could tell who it was just by the footsteps.

"What are you doing up so early?" Serris asked, opening up the cupboard and snatching a coffee mug for herself.

Sean glanced at the small white numbers at the top of his phone screen that read 7:42. He shrugged, "I guess I didn't realize what time it was."

Serris carefully poured coffee into her cup, not looking up while she spoke. "Is Kayc still coming over today?"

"As far as I know." Sean continued his scrolling.

She slid onto the stool beside her brother. "You're really lucky you get to have her as your girlfriend, you know."

Sean didn't bother looking up from his phone. "She's not my girlfriend."

"What do you mean she's not your girlfriend?" Serris stopped mid-sip her brow furrowing.

He looked up from his screen, his facial expression mirroring hers. "I haven't asked?"

If looks could kill, Sean would've been lying on the ground dead. Serris's eyes narrowed on her brother, her mouth agape as if she were lost for words. Sean felt a phantom pain on his cheek, almost as if just by glaring at him she had slapped him across the face.

"Are you serious?" She finally asked, her eyes widening in confusion.

"Why are you staring at me like that? I didn't think it was that big of a deal-"

"It is a big deal, you moron!" Serris sighed, shaking her head at Sean's stupidity. "Why haven't you asked?"

Sean leaned back, flicking his gaze up to the ceiling in thought. In all honesty, he hadn't even thought about asking. He hadn't even thought about their relationship at all, really. It was inevitable that they'd end up together, but it was foolish of him to not ask just because of that.

After a few moments, he shrugged. "I honestly didn't even think about it."

Serris squeezed her eyes shut, her jaw visibly tightening. "You are such a boy, that's the most idiotic answer I've ever heard."

"It doesn't seem to bother her." Sean retorted lamely.

There was a lull in the conversation, Serris evidently trying not to raise her voice at her younger brother. "It definitely bothers her."

"And how would you know?"

"Because I'm quite positive it would bother anyone if they were in her position." Serris set her mug back on the counter. "It probably makes her feel like you don't care about her."

Sean's face scrunched in upset. "That's not true, though."

"Then let her see that." Serris stood, lifting her cup from the counter and carrying it over to the sink to rinse. "You know how mom and dad tell us that they love us everyday, even though we already know? That's what relationships are like. Every time you reach some sort of milestone, you can't just backtrack, you have to continue to show the person that you care."

Sean blinked, watching his sister carefully as she sauntered toward the family room, not uttering another word. As much as he hated it when anyone, specifically his sisters, meddled in his business, he had to admit that Serris had a point. Though Kaycee had expressed her concern about taking things slow, it was evident in the way that she acted that she was more than comfortable now.

He tapped on his phone screen, the white numbers flashing 7:58. He had more than enough time to think up a plan of how he'd ask Kaycee to officially be his girlfriend. He figured he couldn't just come out and ask her, especially since he'd prolonged it for so long.