Twenty

It had been a full month since Sean and Kaycee had seen each other. Sean had been purposefully declining any opportunity he had to see her. That was, until recently.

Last week, Bailey had invited the two to go to Central Perk in Hollywood, knowing they were avid Friends watchers. Sean couldn't say no, he'd been dying to go, he'd even made plans with Kaycee last month before their argument, or whatever it was that was going on.

Kaycee had tried to get together, she tried to make plans, she invited him over, she told him how much she missed him; it killed him. Sean wasn't entirely sure why he was avoiding Kaycee, it's not like she did anything wrong. She doesn't know how Sean feels about her, and even if she did, she's not obligated to feel the same way.

In certain ways, he felt like a hypocrite. He had made such a huge stink about not letting himself get in between Jack and Kaycee a mere two months ago. Now he was avoiding her because he was jealous, which could definitely put a strain on any relationship.

And then there was the jealousy. Kaycee had accused him of being jealous when they last saw each other, and as much as it hurt to admit, Sean was definitely jealous. Extremely jealous. He felt as though he'd been seeing things so clearly, he felt like they were progressing, with every step, he was getting closer and closer to his soulmate. And then Jack was back, messing everything up.

In reality, the only person Sean could blame was himself. He'd always thought of Kaycee as more than a friend, but he wasn't exactly sure what that meant. Back then, he didn't believe he'd be lucky enough to have Kaycee as his soulmate, so he played it safe. Now he was kicking himself, realizing he should've noticed all of the signs earlier.

So now, he sat in the back of Bailey's mom's car, Bailey and her mom in the front, on the way to pick Kaycee up from her place. Despite the efforts by both Bailey and her mother, Sean had difficulty engaging in a conversation. He found himself preoccupied with a certain small brunette that he'd be seeing in a few short minutes.

Bailey leaned back in the passenger seat, tilting her head so she could see Sean out of her peripheral vision. She took notice of his tense stature and his leg shaking underneath him and smirked.

"So Sean," She began, turning around fully to look at him. "When was the last time you and Kaycee saw each other?"

Sean bounced his leg one, two, three times. "Jojo's class."

Bailey hummed, touching her index finger to her chin. "You mean that class we were all at last month?"

"Mhm."

"You haven't seen her since then?"

"That's what I just said."

Bailey narrowed her eyes at the boy in the backseat. "Why?"

"Why what?" Sean asked, refusing to make eye contact.

Bailey huffed, "Are you seriously that dense?"

"Bailey Sok, that's enough." Her mom blurted through gritted teeth.

Bailey obeyed, rotating herself so she was facing forward once again. Sean sat quietly in his seat, ignoring the insults the Asian girl had just hurled at him. She was right, after all, he knew what she was asking, but he was trying to avoid the topic. Avoiding certain topics and certain people was something he had become rather good at these past couple of months.

Before Sean would've liked, the car pulled into an all-too-familiar driveway. He watched the front door of Kaycee's house swing open and Kaycee step out, her smile as wide as the Atlantic. Sean felt his heart go into overdrive, seeing her in person made him feel even guiltier.