Chapter 4 ❀ Ulterior Motives

The next morning, you woke up only thanks to the blinding beams of sunlight hitting your face. Atem was no longer in bed when you had come to your senses. He must have gotten up earlier and left while you had carried on sleeping after not having been able to a good amount of the prior night. Despite only wearing a light piece of beige clothing that could just barely be called a nightgown, you had already started feeling somewhat hot which in an arid zone such as Egypt wasn't such an unusual thing, even this early in the morning.

After stretching your arms and legs you figured that you could inhale some fresh air on the balcony. Fresh air might have been an excuse since there wasn't even a wall separating your bedroom from the exterior properly, but you nevertheless wished to take a look outside. And that's precisely what you did, only to be greeted by the sight of Atem and Mana messing around as usual outside the palace. Honestly, you weren't bothered at all by the fact that the young Pharaoh was being so chummy with another girl, not in slightest.

Then again, why would you even be upset? It wasn't even like you deeply loved Atem as a lifelong companion, let alone the fact that you weren't even capable of calling him your husband. A sigh escaped your mouth as you watched the two — who in a different life could have been lovers — enjoy one another's presence. How you desired that you and Mahad could act the same... But there was no way Mahad would do such a thing, especially now that you had become his childhood friend's wife. You had already made him sin enough by dragging him into your selfish acts.

Your train of thought was thrown off course the moment you heard a series of faint knocks at the door. It hadn't crossed your mind yet, but now that you had become a member of royalty, servants would certainly come in order to take care of you personally for the smallest of things as well as on a daily basis. "Yes, come in." You called out, not even turning your head around to meet them. "I do not know who sent you, but I do not need any help." You spoke somewhat coldly. It wasn't your intention to drive out the servant, but you really didn't want to get used to this luxurious, lonely lifestyle.

"Do you truly not wish for my assistance?" Your eyes went wide at the mere sound of the apparent servant's gentle voice. You turned around hastily, wanting to confirm your assumption and you couldn't have been happier to see that you weren't mistaken. At the room's entrance stood Mahad in his usual attire who was flashing you a slightly sheepish expression. "M-Mahad...?"

"I shall take my leave in that case." The brunet spoke, almost completely ignoring your rather stupefied state as he almost went as far as to turn around and indeed exit the room which he hadn't yet properly entered. Though he had actually turned his back at you and was truly planning to quit the chamber. Flinching at the thought of allowing Mahad to get away so easily when he went through all the trouble to come and see you after what you had made him do yesterday, you instinctively dashed towards him and firmly grasped the end of his white robe. "Please do not go."

"I shall not, then." You could hear Mahad retort silently, his broad back still facing you. Silence accompanied the room for the next couple of minutes until the male decided to finally turn around, you needing to let go of his robe during the process. Your gaze was fixed on the floor since you couldn't bring yourself to look him straight in the eyes. Mahad could sense your vague uneasiness, though it didn't really take a genius to figure out your feelings. He determined that since it was now also his job to take care of you — you as in the Pharaoh's partner — he should attempt to raise your spirits.

Even though it wouldn't appear to be much to a regular person, the simple gesture of Mahad placing his hand on top of your head and patting it was more than reassuring. You deliberately stumbled forward so that you would fall into the brunet's arms. The way he held you gave you a feeling of safety that no one else beside him could ever give you, and the smell that rested on him made you yearn to remain in that same position for so much longer. "I thought you would not want to see my face ever again. Why have you come here?"