Chapter 22

Awkward silence stirred through the jet. For hours No one spoke. No one moved. We just stared at each other. I started to look around; the walls were covered with a variety of weapons and equipment. They looked untouched there was a thick layer of dust on them. I started to identify each one. I was interrupted by Chantelle as she broke the silence.

“So how did you know the school had a jet.” Chantelle asked as she walked towards Midnight.

“I listen in lessons.” Midnight replied.

“So do I and no one mentioned a jet.” Chantelle said. Midnight didn’t reply. 

Then there was a noise. It sounded like another aircraft.

“Everyone strap in.” Midnight said.

“Why?” I asked.

“Some one’s trying to shoot us down.” Midnight shouted.

What? Who’s trying to shoot us down? Suddenly the plane started to swirl in the sky. I looked out of the window. I saw a missile heading directly for the jet. We were steered down and dodged it. I glanced through the other window, which was on the other side of the jet, I watched as the missile blew up. The explosion was amazing.

“I’m taking us down, it’s too dangerous.” Midnight said.

The jet landed. I was so happy to be on the ground.

“Looks like we’re walking.” Bella said.

“We’re in West Virginia.” Midnight said.

“We better start moving then.” Dan said.

“We’ll be there in month. We only have a few days.” Midnight replied.

“What do you suggest then? Getting back into that and be shot down by a missile.” Chantelle said pointing to the jet.

“No, the jet is obvious and walking is too slow.” Midnight answered. They were getting nowhere so I decided to see exactly where we were. I forced myself through a bush, on the other side there were train tracks.

“Why don’t we take the train?” I asked.

They looked at me, confused.

“What train?” Dan asked.

I nudged my head towards the train tracks. They all walked towards me. They leaned to forward to see past me

“You are a genius.” Bella said.

“Thank you.” I said.

“We just have to follow the train tracks and it should take us to station.” Midnight said.

“So let’s get going.” Chantelle said.

We started to walk along the train tracks until we came to a big building with a bridge that hovered over the train tracks.

“I guess that’s the train station.” I said.

We saw a train pull in. It screeched to a stop and the doors opened. I climbed on to the platform and went to the front of train to see where it was going. It was going to Texas.

“Quick. This is the train we need to get on.” I said.

 I scuttled toward the edge of the platform and pulled Bella on to it. Midnight and Dan pulled themselves up and then pulled Chantelle. One held her under her arms the other held her cast. We sprinted to the train only just slipping through the door. We made it. We took a seat on the train. I watched as we left the station.

“Get your tickets out, please.” said a man standing only a few feet away. Crap, we have no tickets. I turn to Bella who was sitting next to me.

“We need to move.” I said.

“Why?” she said taking her earphones out.

“We have no tickets.” I said. A look of horror struck upon her face. 

“Go, get out of your seat.” She said as she shooed me out of my seat and to the end of the train car.

“Get in.” she said and opened the door to the toilet.

“I am not hiding in there.” I argued.

“Yes you are.” she argued. She shoved me through the door and shut it. I tripped backwards and landed on the toilet at least the toilet seat was down but I was still not happy. She shut the door in my face before I could say anything.

A few minutes later, the toilet door opened. It was Bella with Amy, Dan and Midnight. They all crammed into the toilet. This is so awkward.