Chapter Twelve

I sigh, relaxing my back onto the cold surface of a large boulder.

Walker had instructed me to stay on the track, which I obviously didn't adhere to.

My ten miles had gone by rather quickly, and I barely broke a sweat this time.

I could feel my body becoming stronger and faster by the day, and I only had Walker to thank for that.

That was the only thing I could thank him for, however.

While he had helped me physically; mentally and emotionally, he has beaten me into the dirt.

With my sore legs bent, and my eyes squinting at the setting sun, I finally felt calm.

"This doesn't look like running on the track." Walkers deep voice sighs behind me.

My body jolts at his sudden appearance, glaring over my shoulder at the tall man.

"I already finished, so you can leave now." I spit at him, laying my head back on the rock.

Sighing again, he walks around the boulder, taking a seat on the edge.

I gulp at how close he was to me, but chose not to open my eyes to look at him.

"Watching the sunset again?" He asks softly, making me peep at him under my lashes.

I remember how he had made fun of me at the beach for being so invested in sunsets.

"No, that would be silly." I clench my jaw, sitting up next to him.

Our arms brush slightly, sending shocks down my skin.

Curse Walker and his stupid sparks.

"Well that's too bad, the sky is beautiful." The edge of his lip tilts up at the side.

Staring at the side of his face, I feel my stomach flip at the sight of his small smile.

Walker never smiled.

At least, not around me.

I glance back at the sky, taking in the sight of all the colors brushed across the canvas.

From our spot on top of the boulder, you could see the edge of the horizon in the distance.

"Yeah, I guess so." I sighed lowly, toying with my hands in my lap.

His scent wafted passed my nose, filling my lungs, and making my head spin in circles.

"Do you think you can win?" He asks me, glancing at me out of the corner of his eye.

I shrugged, "I'm not sure, but I feel a lot stronger." 

He nods silently, biting his bottom lip.

For a moment, he seemed to be debating with himself, like he wanted to tell me something but wasn't sure how to do it.

"Carter, look...I've been thinking about your question last night." He begins, making my chest cave in.

"Stop." I cut him off, not wanting to hear another word from his lips.

Walker turns towards me with parted lips and clenched brows.

"I don't want to hear it. We agreed last night to ignore this mate bond- so that's what we're going to do." I swallow, avoiding his eyes.

He glares at me, "Carter, I want to talk about it."

I shake my head with a small, vacant chuckle.

"No more. Unless you're ready to tell me that things with you and Francine have ended and you want me- then keep it to yourself." I tell him, jumping off the boulder without another word.