Twenty Seven

Tabari had made his desicion...

It had been a week since Wilbur had visited. Tabari had thought long and hard about what he wanted to do. He sifted through all his options thoroughly, not happy with the result he drew upon. But he had to do this for his mate. For his family. 

He was going to let Bowyn go...

It was the right thing to do. Bowyn was suffering silently and no one could do anything to help him any longer. Tabari had cried several nights, praying for a miracle to happen. But that miracle never came. 

The doctors were giving Tabari the rest of the day and tomorrow to spend time with Bowyn before they took him off his nutrients and inject a mixture that would instantly kill him. 

Tabari had yet to tell Lenore the news, as he had only decided early that morning when the doctors came in to give Bowyn his medicine. 

Today, Tabari has to write out a speech to address the townspeople of their King's passing. It would be a terrible day for the whole kingdom. All Tabari wanted to do was stay in his bedchamber beside his mate and son. To spend Bowyn's final hours with him, not wanting his mate to have to pass on alone. But he had to sit in front of the many nobles of the kingdom and come up with a well-written speech in only a few hours. 

The doctors were now slowly taking Bowyn off of his nutrients, preparing him for the poisonous mixture that would soon end his life. Tabari watches as a nurse dabs Bowyn's forehead with a damp cloth, clearing the sweat that had perpetrated on his face.

Tabari clutches onto Ambrose, who was whimpering and whining. Wanting to go lay down with his beloved father. His eyes watering the more he was away from Bowyn. 

"I must go now," Tabari says to the doctors and nurses that surrounded his husband. "I have to prepare a speech by tomorrow morning. Ambrose will be staying with his father until I return. When you check in on Bowyn in a few hours I would like you to feed Ambrose as well. I know it is not your job but you may as well do it while you are in the room."

"You are just going to leave your pup unattended like that? He is crawling now. He could fall off the bed and get injured. Or even worse, die!" 

"My pup stays right by His Majesty's side. He will not roll off the bed. He may be a child, but he is smart when it comes to being told to stay put. Do not question the way I choose to parent my son. I trust that he will be safe on the bed. Goodday, to you."

With that, Tabari exits the room, feeling a twinge of pain in his heart. He desperately wanted to stay with his family more than anything. 

As Tabari walks down the hallway, he spots Lenore. Sweet Lenore who was still clueless about the fate of his older brother. Tabari swallows thickly, knowing that he had to tell the boy now. 

"Tabari," Lenore exclaims as he spots his brother in law. "I was just on my way to visit you! What are you up to today?" 

"Lenore... there is something that I need to tell you. Come, follow me to my office. I want you to be seated." 

Lenore's mood drops as he notices Tabari's expression. He looked unbelievably tired, his eyes rimmed with dark circles. His cheeks were a blotchy red, signifying that he had cried. His hands shook as he opened the door to his office. 

"I must tell you this before the nobles arrive," Tabari says, pushing Lenore down onto the sofa. 

"Why are the nobles coming to the palace? You are scaring me, Tabari." 

"Lenore... Bowyn is suffering. His state is unchanging. It has been a little over three months, closer to four. We have to let him go. Which is why I have called the nobles to discuss-,"