Forest and Misty

*Flash back*

It was a hot summer day and Misty has taken a nice stroll along the beach where she lived, Misteria. Misty then took a dip in the cool clear water. This was her favorite thing to do, except of course hanging out with her best friend, Forest. Forest was a kitsune woodsman who also lived in a village, but instead of a seashell home, he lived in the trees. 

They had met when Misty had gotten lost as a kid and found herself alone in the woods Forest lived in. Forest was gathering berries for the village when he heard Misty singing old tribesman songs. Forest sang along and found Misty crying in a ditch near a stream. Immediately he cheered her up with jokes and stories she had never heard of. He was the same age as her so she could relate to angry parents and dilemmas at school. 

Eventually, Forest showed Misty back home safe and sound. Everyday since Misty goes back and and sings the same song finding Forest and chatting with him all day long. Misty was making her way towards the woods when the chief of the village stopped her. 

"Misty, where are you going?" The chief asked. Misty replied, "Going to the woods with...friends." The Chief didn't even listen, "Great, but I have to show you something, Tadpole." Misty rolled her eyes, "Dad, I've told you not to call me that!" The chief grabbed her arm ignoring the comment. 

"I think your just going to love...it. And I hope you know it's your duty—" Misty interrupted. "Dad where are we going?" The Chief continued walking and led her to his sea shell teepee. Inside was a purple-skinned woman dressed in scaly maroon dress and a spiky-finned comb around her neck. And her bald head striped black. She looked like every villain in a story. Absolutely evil, thought Misty. 

Beside her was a handsome purple-skinned boy around her age that wore spiky-finned earrings and a sea-shelled hula skirt that would look feminine on anyone else but him. He had a large purple fin on the top of his head like a Mohawk. Her mother had welcomed them and now stood waiting. "What is going on?" Misty questioned stunned. The chief placed a hand on Misty's shoulder, "Darling, this is chief Pira—Hanna and her son Kinsanobe." Misty got nervous, "And what are they doing here?" 

This time Pira—Hanna answered in a weird accent. "To form an alliance. It is my understanding you want to marry my son for a treaty." The chief nodded but this made Misty even more furious.  Misty gritted her teeth trying to be polite about this, "I had no idea of this, did YOU father?" The Chief nodded, "Yes it is my village after all." Misty was going to explode, "But it's my hand he's asking for!" Misty practically yelled. Pira—Hanna stepped forward, "They will be getting married, right?" The Chief answered, "Yes." Misty yelled, "NO!" 

"Yes!" "No!" "Yes!" "No!" "Misty! Outside now!" Her mother yelled stepping between them. "But Mom—" Misty began. "Now!" Her mother gave her that, do what I say or else, look. Misty begrudgingly left the teepee. 

Misty muttered angrily to herself. After a while, Misty's mother walked out of the teepee. "Well?" Misty asked hopefully. Misty's mother rubbed her temples and closed her eyes. "Look, Misty, I tried, I really did, but Pira—Hanna is threatening to declare war if we don't follow through with it." Misty squeezed her eyes shut. "Then go to war!" 

Her mother looked hurt, "One day you'll be chief and you'll know going to war in never a good answer. War is when you have failed at all other options! And you're going to marry Kinsanobe or at least give him a chance. He's not that bad." Misty scoffed, "You never had to do this! You don't know how it feels to love someone! You just married Dad cause he's the Chief!" Her mother was almost in tears. Immediately she regretted what she said. "Not all of us have everything handed to them since they were born. You're going to marry him and learn to respect not just yourself." And with that her mother stormed off. Misty was almost in tears herself. She could only think of one person that would listen to her, Forest. 

Misty ran to the forest and sang the song he always came to. Misty heard rustling and turned to find and older looking Kitsune. It had large blue eyes and a thin tank top and shorts. The face had sharp cheekbones and looked feminine. "Hello, do you know Forest? He looks like your kind." The girls fox-like ears twitched. Misty saw a thorn piercing through the tip. The fox glared at her. "My kind?" Misty regretted her choice of words. Forest had told her that his people were very emotional and could be very dangerous if brought up wrong. 

"Oh, no, no, no, I mean he's a Kitsune like you. I meant no offense." The girl studied her, slowly circling her. "How do you know him anyways?" Misty was getting uncomfortable. "Look I don't mean to be rude, but do you know him or not?" The fox smirked, "He's actually my little half brother. I'm Amy. Why do you want to see him anyways?"

Misty did not remember Forest bringing up any siblings, nonetheless half siblings. "I just need to speak with him, so if you could point me in the direction he's in, I'll be on my way." Amy contemplated the conversation ending and settled her mind. "Alright." Amy pulled out a wooden horn and blew twice and then whistled. Two minutes later, Forest jumped from the tops of the trees. "I heard you call, Amy, what is it?" Forest then saw Misty and grinned. 

"You came!" They hugged and Amy shifted, clearly awkward, "Alright, bye now!" And she jumped to the top branch of a tree and kept away. Forest eyed Misty. "Are you alright? How's home?" Misty tried to stop the tears but they just poured out. "Aww, Misty, what's wrong?" Forest held Misty in his arms. "My father, he's assigned me to marry some stranger for a peace treaty!" Forest  chewed on this thought, "Well, I don't suppose you can murder him with out anyone knowing." Misty pushed out of his arms, wiping her eyes. "Forest! This isn't a joke! I don't even know him!" Misty paces quickly, rubbing her temples.

"Then don't marry him!" Forest threw his hands up. "It's not that simple, Forest. I'm the chief's daughter, what he says goes, and I have certain responsibilities." Forest sighed, "Then run away with me." Misty realized that he was serious. He was actually hoping she would say yes. "Together we can live in the Grove. My people will accept you." Forest gently slipped his hand in hers. Before Misty could respond and eagle-like creature appeared. 

Forest, being skittish, jumped up into the trees and Misty pulled out her fire-coral knife and got in the defensive stance her father showed her. It spoke in an feminine accent she hadn't heard before. "Please help me. My friend, he's hurt." Misty stayed cautious but Forest let his curiosity get the best of him and jumped down. "How'd he get hurt?" Misty placed a hand on his chest. "Where is he?" She asked. The creature sighed. "Just over in those bushes." Misty looked at Forest, and he her. 

They had heard of shape shifting syren creatures that lured people into caves behind bushes and doing horrible things that always went unsaid in the stories. "How do we know your not lying?" The eagle girl tilted her head slightly, "You don't, but I know you love each other, right? And you would do anything for each other. Well so would I do anything for my friend, please." She pleaded. "I don't have any weapons." She added. Forest grabbed Misty's hand and they held each other knowing they indeed would do anything for each other. Misty nodded finally and said, "Show us." And she led them to a body in the bushes.