Chapter 12- Broken

It had been almost a week since the incident, and I had made much improvement. My leg was healing as it should, and the bruises had started to turn yellow and fade across my body. I still hadn't seen Kylo but assumed at this point that he was done with me after he got what he wanted.

      In all honestly, I could have gone out and about with the brace now well fitted around my leg, but I was afraid. I knew I was a coward, but it was becoming easier and easier to reason with myself that there was little I could do with the current situation anyhow.

My advisors however would certainly disagree with that.

In their eyes, there were still many expectations of me. I knew deep down that the people were concerned for me and were being left with no answers. No word on why I wouldn't come out, or what was going on. Despite my reluctance, I would need to see my people to maintain appearances, so we needed to create a plan.

I had assumed my brace could be easily hidden with a long cape and thick dress if I did need to go out but had yet to try. I was almost embarrassed by the way things had happened.

Perhaps it was embarrassment over our relations, or more so the revelations I was forced to confront. The fact that I was still consumed with the idea of being with Kylo again but equally knew how broken I laid because of him.

I had managed to get out of my bed all by myself without my brace after a week, which was a small victory indeed. I figured soon enough I'd be able to make my appearance in the city.

     I had my handmaids come in early and fix my bedding as well as help me with my tangled hair. Iylin had spent extra time this morning making it stick straight before sleeking it back into a uniform ponytail before I lied back down.

Vera gave a small knock at my door before entering.

"Good afternoon, Your Grace! Tell me, how're you feeling?"

"I'm doing okay, thank you for that enthusiasm," I said with a laugh, enamored by her upbeat personality. She was trying her best to bring me some type of joy while locked away in here and I was grateful for it.

"Well, I brought your data pad. The outer rim of the planet seems to now have stormtroopers stationed throughout to make sure no ships get in."

"Why does that not surprise me. Anything else?" I said with a sigh.

"Yes, but you won't like it."

She bit her lip as she tugged at the hem of her dress anxiously. It appeared that she had been wrestling with telling me for quite some time.

"So... Kylo Ren has been trying to make contact with us during your um, healing? And General Brayer keeps refusing it."

What?

I was flabbergasted at first, but then furious. He had been trying to see me this whole time?

And here I thought he had slept with me and then he didn't care enough to see me again, he had got what he wanted.

That sick feeling I'd had in my stomach the whole time, knowing he gave up on anything we could've had could have been prevented. I was pissed.

"Why did no one tell me this sooner?"

"General Brayer asked us not to, he didn't want to upset you, Your Grace."

"Get him to my room now."

She said nothing and quickly hushed the remaining handmaids out of my room. I could not believe how angry I was. The feeling of rejection was one I had deemed inevitable from Kylo, but this changed things.