Chapter 9

We were on our way back to my hotel, the quiet car ride gave my thoughts the stage and they ran with it. I was so busy allowing myself to be the princess I felt that I was all evening, that I had completely agreed with myself to pretend that Kai was my date for the evening. Three glasses of champagne and two glasses of wine later, I was completely his.

The evening had truly been magical, I didn't want it to end; seeing and meeting this particular side of Kai had to be what had been the most magical about it. We danced, and talked and laughed the entire evening, and for once he seemed so relaxed that he was able to really enjoy himself. It made me want to see this side of him more often. I turned to look at the man behind the wheel of the car I was currently riding in.

If only the timing wasn't so off.

If only I knew for certain that what I was feeling for this man was enough to sacrifice everything and go for it. Or how about a small confirmation from him that I am not the only one in this pretend relationship?

Okay, maybe I had one glass of champagne too many.

A short while later, we arrived much to my dismay and I grunted in disapproval as I unfastened my seatbelt.

"Are you ok?" He asked me suddenly.

I paused turning back to look at him. "I am fine, thank you." I say to him plastering a smile on my face. "I guess the champagne is catching up to me now that the evening has come to a close." I resume opening the door and move to get out and as I close the door, I notice that he has gotten out as well.

"I can walk you up to your room, if you don't mind." He said coming around the car to stand beside me.

"Of coarse I don't." I say naturally taking is arm. "As my escort, it is part of your job to see me to my door. I would have complained if you hadn't." I said with a laugh.

"Glad you see it my way." He said as we entered the lobby.

The elevator doors opened, and we stepped inside. Any other time, the elevator would have delayed me, but not today it seems. Even the ride up to my floor went without interruption. The fact that it was 3 in the morning could have played a small role in this.

"I had such an awesome time Kai, thank you. And to think that I almost preferred to stay in an binge watch television because I didn't have anything to wear."

He eyed me intently. "I would not have left you behind, even with what you were wearing before, you would have still been the hottest looking woman in the building."

I was pretty sure I was blushing from the way he looked at me and suddenly, the elevator seemed way too small, so when the doors suddenly opened, I practically jumped out. I spun back around suddenly to face him. "Whoa, you think I am hot?" I asked as what he had said finally registered in my brain. "Seriously?"

"Of coarse I do." He said casually as if he was confirming a food order. "Am I not allowed to think so?"

"Well normally when a guy is so in love with his girlfriend, he tends to not notice other women." I say matter-of-factly as he falls in step beside me as I start walking down the hall.

He gave me a quiet smile as he looked at me out of the corner of his eye. "Well you are pretty special, it is quite hard to not notice you." He said shyly. "I can see why Garren behaves the way he does where it concerns you."

I make a clicking noise as I roll my eyes. "That man."

Although, I tried walking as slow as possible, we seemed to have reached my door all too quickly.

"Thank you, again." I say while retrieving my key card from my clutch. With the alcohol cheering me on, I reach out to hug him and immediately get lost in his smell and the feel of his arms around me. I don't know why I did it, but I pull back slightly looking into his eyes. His beautiful, deep, dark, almond shaped eyes...