“Granny,” she squealed before hugging onto her grandmother’s legs. I looked over to Finley to see her staring at me timidly.

“We should get going, Mom,” Finley pointed out. “Rue, be good for Zen, okay?” Rue simply nodded before running over to hug Finley.

“Have fun!”

“I’m sure I will,” Finley replied sarcastically before nearly dragging her mother out of the door. She was obviously avoiding the question and trying to get out of the house and away from my presence as quickly as she could. Once the door shut, Rumor ran and jumped onto the couch.

“Does your mom let you do that,” I asked with my brows raised. Rue continued jumping and giggling. I decided to pick the girl up while she was midair. I didn’t have time for her to slip and break her neck or something. Rue began whining and slapping my shoulders.

“Put me down, Zenny! I’m not a baby!”

“You still get strapped into a car seat, kid. You’re still a kid until you get to ride in the passenger’s seat.” Rue groaned and crossed her arms. “Don’t worry. It’s good that you’re still a baby. You don’t have to pay bills. You don’t have to work. You don’t have to go to school. You don’t have to have an annoying boyfriend, or girlfriend, or whatever you get yourself into when you grow up.”

I sat down on the couch with Rue on my lap. “I like dogs.”

“If you’re into dogs when you grow up, sweetheart, then I’ll support you. I’ll even start a campaign to legalize human-animal marriage.” Rue smiled adorably. “I’m sure your mother would join along with me. And you can marry a dog, but don’t have sex with it. That’s asking for a deadly disease.”

“What’s sex,” Rue asked with her brows furrowed.

“Shit,” I mumbled to myself. Probably shouldn’t have mentioned sex to a three-year old. Finley would kill me if she found out that I actually mentioned that to her daughter.

“What’s shit,” Rue countered. I literally wanted to blow my brains out. That little girl didn’t miss anything. “Sex and shit,” Rue repeated. She giggled to herself. “That sounds funny.”

“Both of those words are bad words, Rue. You can’t say any of those in front of your mommy,” I told her sternly. Rue frowned and looked down at her hands.

“What would happen if I do,” she asked.

“You’ll break her back.”

“No silly! If you step on a crack that’s when you break your mommy’s back!” I covered my face and Rue laughed at me. “What’s wrong with you, Zenny? Do you want to have sex with a doggy?”

I snickered and shook my head. “No. I do not want to have sex with a doggy, Rue.”

“Me either!”

“That’s good. Can we talk about something else though? How was your day so far, kid?” Rue put a finger to her chin and tapped it as she thought about something that had happened that day. After a while, she shrugged her shoulders. “You don’t remember what you’ve done today? Your memory is just as bad as mine.”

“What have you done today, Zenny?”

“Um...my girlfriend.”

“How do you do your girlfriend?”

I giggled before shaking my head. “You know what, Rue, there’s some questions that just shouldn’t be answered. So, why don’t instead, we play a game? How about hide and seek?” Rue barely gave me time to get the sentence out.