Chapter One - Waiting for a Star to Fall

Start from the beginning

Finally, the walk sign turned on. Glen was about to make his first up on the street until his right away got violated as a large woman in a Ford Windstar went ahead and made a right turn free cell phone in her ear. Glen shrugged it off and took a look at the next driver on the right lane, an elderly man, who waved him through. He gave them the thumbs up and continued his jog.

After nearly a 4-mile jog, Glen arrived home to his condo, hearing more news about Rick Jones's injury. Better walk-in, shutting off his iPod and throwing it on the kitchen counter. He stripped himself down to the bathroom and took a shower. Afterward, he wrapped the towel around himself and proceeded to the same closet to grab his dress clothes. He put on a white shirt and tie, along with some black dress pants. To top it, off he wore an elegant vest. When he finished up, he took a look of a framed photo hanging up on the wall of him in summer clothes and a beautiful smiling blond-haired woman holding his arm. The background was of Lake Huron.

He didn't stare for too long and continued to the door while grabbing his light leather suitcase on the way. He closed and locked the door behind him, headed to the car lot and got in his Ford Focus.

"You know guys; I'm glad that you all attended this meeting today, although it was an option. Black Friday is just a few weeks away. And also the cold weather, in fact, it's pretty close." A man with a white shirt and tie said as he was by the presentation board in the staff only section of Ropers.

This followed by some chuckles among the other seven people attending the meeting, including the younger individual of all people attending, Glen Fletcher.

"You are dismissed, but I'd like to talk to you Glen before you step out." the man said.

Everyone got off their seats, along with a few ooohs, to go along with it, the saying gesture that one is in trouble with the boss.

Glen made his approach to him while all made exits. He regarded the nametag on the man being listed as Thomas Floyd, Store Manager.

"Since Black Friday's coming around the corner, I want you to get on the ball with that temporary office I e-mailed everyone about, with yours and Barbara's attention. Did you get it?"

"Yes, I did." Glen stated.

"Well, give them a call, we can use some temps to fill in the spots for Black Friday."

"Have them come in today?" Glen asked.

He looked away, "Hmm, no, but we can have some start Thursday. I'm sure the temp office will be handing us over some people with retail experience, but I know that the will likely hand us over some people with no or little experience. All I ask is that we have more female temporaries, so can you... sort of... request that?" he asked.

Glen drew a smile, "I can seek to that, is this because our clientele would rather be served by a female?"

"Works in restaurants, and I prefer this."

"Then so be it. I'll start with that now."

"Go do it, and e-mail me on what will happen next."

Glen turned to the do, "Will do that too."

After making that call and hand-writing down the details, Glen hung up the phone and was beginning to prepare the information to his head cheese. He opened Microsoft Word, a version a few years off of the newly released. It wasn't something Glen had a problem with; unlike most higher-ups of the department store he worked at, including his immediate boss, Barbara Devore, a kind just-turned-50 short woman who just liked Glen a lot. That's because she shoveled the paperwork in his direction. The office he was in had room for two desks, his desk and her desk. She wasn't present at the moment while Word started up with an issue of its speed. He thought of calling one of his higher-up pals by the name of Lucas who was in charge of the Information Technology the store handled, but Barbara's voice from outside the door. She was approaching.