I'm not a dog you prick

"Mama, why do I have the force?" I asked my mom as we were heading to the medical building as my training for the day had been cancelled as my father was needed in a nearby town for some meeting with the town leaders about some important matters regarding a new secret organization, "it's odd that you and Dad don't have it but that I do, why is that, Mom?"

Being ten and curious about my abilities and where they came from had become a popular topic that I had brought up to both my parents frequently. They had never said much on it, as they said they didn't know themselves. It made me even more curious about it, and it didn't really help that my father didn't even know who his parents were. Whereas my mother's mom had died when she was young and her father didn't have the abilities I had.

"You already know the answer to these questions, Mari, we don't know how you inherited these special abilities," my mother answered as she held my hand in hers as we made our way through the bustling market as people went about their day.

"I know, I'm sorry, Mother," defeated again at not having answers to my origins made me feel melancholy, "I just wish I knew why I have these abilities and what I'm supposed to do with them."

My mother stopped walking, turned to me and crouched down to my level as she grabbed me by the shoulders and stared at me with an intense gaze. I'd never seen my mother give this look before as she was always optimistic about things. She never focused on the negative things, only on the bright side of things as she believes that dwelling on the bad things only encourages them to follow.

"Follow your heart as it will never leave you astray, and trust your judgement on what you believe is right. Don't ever settle on somebody else's opinions, because that can lead to detrimental consequences for you," she spoke low as she glanced around to make sure that nobody had heard her, nobody knew about my abilities as my parents had insisted on keeping it a secret due as they were afraid that history would only repeat itself.

"I understand, Mama."

"One day, you will leave your Father and I because you play a greater role in the scheme of things that you have yet to even comprehend my dear. Always trust your instincts and be wary of those you trust because not everybody you meet will have good intentions, do you understand?"

"I won't ever leave you and Dad! I'll grow up and take Dad's spot and become just as smart as Dad!" A half smile made its way to her face as she merely shook her head at me.

"You will, my dear, in time you will leave and play your part, do you understand?"

"I understand, Mama."

"I love you."

"I love you too."

She placed a kiss on my forehead before she stood and took my hand and we continued our trek to the medical building where she would teach me to sew somebody up as she believed it was a necessary skill to learn. I didn't think so as it made me squirm at the thought of having to stab somebody with a small needle, it irked me to think that people were capable of doing horrible things like hurting and killing one another.

Sitting up in bed, I raised a hand to my damp face. I was crying. I missed my parents and my home. Throwing the covers back, I climbed out of bed and decided that training would help me release my feelings of melancholy.

"You shouldn't overexert yourself," Vicrul stated as I picked myself off the floor. "We've been sparring for an hour."

Sluggishly getting back into the fighting position, I ignored the pain in my shoulder. I was straining myself and my healing wound. But I didn't care, I needed to feel something other than sadness. Even if it meant scarring my body. Vicrul looked as if he wanted to protest but it disappeared as quickly as it appeared.