Chapter 6

February 14, 1961

Bobby. Have you see my husband, Jackie asked?

No. I haven't, Bobby lied.

Jack was out with y/n. Today they find out the sex of their baby.

Oh ok. Come get me when he gets here. Tell him that I'm looking for him, Jackie said.

Bobby waits for Jackie to leave.

Hello Miss Kinnear. How are you feeling today, Dr.Booth said?

I feel good.

You two here today. Found out the sex of the baby, Dr.Booth said.

Yeah.

Yep.

Let's get started then.

Roll up your shirt.

So you guys. What do you want it to be, Dr.Booth said.

I want a boy, You said.

Girl, Jack said.

Let's find out then.

That is cold.

President Kennedy. Miss Kinnear, Do you guys want to know, Dr.Booth said.

Yeah.

Congratulations. You two are having a girl.

So how did the doctor's appointment go?

It went well, Jack said.

What are you having, Bobby asked?

Girl, Jack said.

I have another niece, Bobby grinned.

I'm getting another daughter, Jack said.

I forgot to tell you. Jackie was looking for you today. She asked where you were at Jack, Bobby asked?

What did you tell her, Jack said.

I told her. that I don't know.

I am grateful for Joe Karth's introduction. I don't know whether you realize it, but the Constitution of the United States gives different responsibilities to the Senate and the House. In the United States Senate, we are given the responsibility of ratifying treaties and confirming presidential appointments. The House of Representatives, however, is given far greater power. They are given the power to levy taxes and appropriate money. So any time you don't like the way your money is being spent or what the taxes are, do not write to Senator Humphrey, McCarthy or me, but write to Congressman Karth.

Actually, he represents the kind of able, vigorous progressive Congressman, in fact, public servant, that I think this country needs. I think this is an important election. I know that candidates say that about every election. But I think in many ways the issues which face the United States in 1960 are the most significant that we have ever faced, even more, significant than 1932, because in 1932 the issue was whether freedom would remain here in the United States. I think the question in 1960 is whether it will remain around the world. I don't think it is an accident that Mr. Khrushchev spends a month at the United Nations. He is a busy man. He is the dictator of a large country that has many projects at home and abroad, but he chooses to spend a month at the United Nations. Many of us in the United States have rather ignored the United Nations, and Presidents have visited it for a day and made a speech, and then gone back to Washington and the United Nations continues. Why does he spend a month there? Why do all the members of his empire come with him? Why do Nasser and those from every other nation around the world come to the United Nations this year? He is there for a very significant reason, and he stays there for a very significant reason, and that is because he realizes that the balance of power now hangs in the finest balance that it has hung in the last 2,000 years; that if he can win the loyalty and goodwill, if he can win a commitment to the future from the leaders of Africa, who are not committed to any course of action today, the leaders of Asia, if Castro can spread his influence throughout all of Latin America, then the balance of power will begin to move in the direction of the Communist world, and his future and the Communist future is assured. That is why I say 1960 is the most significant time in the history of not only the American republic, but I think the history of freedom, Jack said.

You clap your hands.

Thank you. Goodnight.

How are my two favorite girls doing?

We are doing good. I'm just tired and my feet are hurting bad, You said.

You need to sit down for a while.

So have you pick out. any baby names since we know the gender.

A couple of them, you said.

What do you have so far?

Kathleen, McKenzie, Scarlett, Annabelle, Kimberly.

Kathleen after my sister.

Yeah. It would be lovely to name. your daughter after your sister, You said.

Jack smiled.

We got the name down. Do you have any ideas for a middle name?

Harleen, Arabella, Elizabeth.

I like Arabella.

Her name is going to be.

Kathleen Arabella Kennedy.

I love it.

Same.

I can't wait to meet her.

You let out a yawn. You close your eyes. Before you fall asleep on Jack's shoulder.

Jack pulled the blanket over you two. He lays his hands on your stomach. Before he falls asleep himself.