Part XI: Vitality

"The microwave!" Kayla shouted in distress. Markus grabbed a towel and began to frantically swat at the small flames until only smoke remained.

"I think that you need a new microwave. What if this thing explodes or something?"

You have no idea how much I want to explode it right now.

Jenny inhaled deeply, fighting the scowl that desperately threatened to overtake her pleasant but fake smile.

"Kayla? What are you doing here?"

"I came to pay you a visit, but Markus answered the door instead. I really can't believe that you managed to hide this absolute hottie from me. I'm jealous," Kayla huffed all in one breath. Almost anyone else Jenny knew would be embarrassed to say such things with the man of topic in the room, but Kayla didn't care.

Haze slowly trailed into the kitchen, looking as hesitant as a terrified kitten.

"Is this your friend? Jenny, I'm starting to think that you lead a double life or something!" Kayla exclaimed, pondering the notion for a moment before she chuckled at the seemingly absurd idea.

You have no idea, Kayla.

"Why did you stop by? Not that I mind."

"You're being uncharacteristically nice about this," Kayla accused. She turned to Markus, grinning evilly.

"Is Jenny cat-fishing you? She really isn't this nice."

Markus seemed reluctant to answer, obviously aware of Jenny's growing anger.

"It isn't cat-fishing. I know all about her rudeness," he replied, smiling gently as if that would placate her.

Before Kayla could open her mouth, he continued, "I know you came to see Jenny, but I kind of need to talk to her about some important things. Could you please come back later?"

"Sure. Take good care of her and if you break her heart I'll break your face," Kayla said pleasantly. She gave Jenny a gentle pat on the arm, smirked at Haze, and then exited the apartment.

As soon as Jenny heard the door close, Markus was mentally shoved to the ground. He squealed as she mercilessly pressed his frame to the floor. She felt sadistic glee as he groaned in pain.

"I'm sorry! She heard me and I had to let her in before she made a fuss and attracted too much attention!"

"What the hell are you doing in my apartment anyway?"

"I'm here to move forward with our plan. You know, the one to stop Loki from world domination and et cetera."

She finally released him. He inhaled deeply, standing to his feet as he placed a palm against his chest. "Ouch."

A trickle of blood dripped from her nose, reminding her that she temporarily wasn't supposed to use her telekinetic powers. The backlash of her actions almost made her fall, her hands shaking as she gripped the countertop unsteadily.

Markus was at her side immediately, placing an arm around her shoulders and steadying her despite his own pain.

"She isn't supposed to use her telekinesis," Haze supplied, helping Marcus lead her to the living room couch. She silently cursed at her weakness as her body was jostled, her hands clutching at the sofa cushions before she sank down with a groan of discontent.

"I'm sorry. I didn't want to provoke you into hurting yourself, but for what's it worth, I may have a couple of bruised ribs. Not that it's anything new for me," Markus remarked drily.

Good, she wanted to reply, but her eyelids slid closed and she fell asleep before she could imagine the harm of Marcus having free reign in her living space.