Part VI: Haze

"Loki has been around longer than anyone can remember," Markus began, twiddling his thumbs nervously. His eyes darted around the establishment after he'd finished speaking, as if looking for an attacker.

There was no one. The restaurant was mostly empty, save for the older worker that had excused herself to the back for a quick smoke.

The two had wisely ditched their Super-costumes. Jenny felt naked and vulnerable without the spandex hugging her body, especially when a Supervillain was comfortably sitting in the booth right across from her.

Markus had the audacity to look pleased, albeit nervous. His hands tapped against the table restlessly. He was scantily clad in a white tank top that left little to the imagination about his physique, and a pair of athletic shorts that didn't quite match the chilly New York weather scene. When questioned about his attire by her, he simply shrugged and grinned.

A tray was placed before him, holding two burgers, an open capsule of fries, and chicken nuggets that Jenny refused to touch. Markus seemed happy to eat enough for the both of them.

Don't buy a Supervillain food. They should include that in the unofficial rulebook.

"If Loki has been around for so long, then why have I never heard of him?"

Markus popped a nugget into his mouth, chewing thoughtfully. He spread his palms open as if he were holding something.

"Imagine the New York Superheroes as a web. Things fall into that web eventually, and they get caught. Don't think of Loki as a fly. Don't even think of him as a really evasive bug. Imagine him as a spider. That's why you've never heard of him."

"I really wish that you wouldn't speak in analogies," Jenny replied, ignoring the nugget he offered. He shrugged and popped the offending item into his own mouth.

"What I am trying to say is that he isn't a regular, run-of-the-mill Supervillain. He has connections in just about everything, which means that part of that oh-so-righteous web that you Superheroes are so proud of..." Markus trailed off, shooting her a dull look.

"That web is partly built by him," Jenny finished.

"Bingo," he agreed, waving a fry in her direction.

"So, do you know his true identity? That would make it a lot easier to stop whatever his agenda is."

"True identity? See, you're still thinking too small. As far as I know, this guy doesn't have a true identity. He is just Loki. As for that agenda, even I don't know what it is. Just that it is pretty shady."

Jenny was growing frustrated.

"What is your agenda then? Why shouldn't I call the cops right now?"

"One, I would stop you. Two, I've already told you my agenda. I'm trying to stop Loki and ACID so that regular criminals like me can keep on doing what we do best without his threat looming over our shoulders."

"What exactly is that threat?"

"Join us or be purged. New world order. Evil stuff like that. I'm really not interested in becoming Loki's lap dog. Besides, this place is my home. I can't let him do anything to harm the place I live in."

Markus gestured wildly to the surrounding area before he gave Jenny an earnest smile.

Well, Superheroes are supposed to help others. I'll be careful.

"Okay," she muttered, trying to rationalize her thoughts.

She sat forward on the plush seat, crossing her arms across her chest.