Love

Warning: This is my first attempt at a slam poem. I have no clue what I'm doing.

•••••

Love. This small, four-lettered word is something we are all familiar with. Each of us see it differently, and the meaning has changed over the years. But lemme be the first to tell you, there is a difference between love and lust.

Just what is love?

Love is more than just a feeling. It's a sacrifice, a daily choosing of someone. It ain't there one moment and gone the next because when it's true, it never truly goes away. It's putting your heart on the line for someone even if there's a possibility of getting hurt. It's forgiving them and giving a second chance even when others say they don't deserve it.

It's being there for them no matter what. It's wiping away their tears, even if there's tears streaming down your own face. It's doing everything in your power to make them happy because nothing makes you feel like their smile does.

It's caring for someone so much you're willing to do anything and everything to be around them. It's not ever wanting to hurt them or break their heart.

Love is selfless and patient. It's not cutting them out of your life the moment they mess up and break your heart because they mean so much to you that you can't shove them away.

It's looking into the eyes of the one who broke you and saying "I love you" and meaning it with all your heart.

That is love.

•••••

This slam poem attempt is dedicated to leiaskygal. Thank you for your support sis! It means a lot.