|9|

Chapter 9

"After entering the IP address, you will be connected through a Darknet portal to an untraceable bank

"After entering the IP address, you will be connected through a Darknet portal to an untraceable bank. Once logged in, enter your account number to receive wire transfers. The IP address will deactivate with each transfer. You will be assigned a new IP address if you choose to continue down the list. Remember, visual confirmation is always required for payment," the man on the tape said as it switched off and left Stiles and Scott staring at each other.

The small wiring of the tape kept going as Scott and Stiles looked down at the money before them. "You ever made a wire transfer?" Stiles asked Scott who shook his head. "Never had enough money," he replied sulkily.

"So you didn't understand a word of that either?" Stiles asked, hopeful that he wasn't the only one. Scott threw up his hands and sighed. "I don't understand any of this. Why would someone use all this money just to kill us?"

"Someone wants you dead, dude. Badly." Scott nodded and looked at his closed bedroom door. "Don't forget about Madelyn, she's worth more as the thirds get broken. What if the final third is released and she's worth 50? 50 million Stiles, who wouldn't want to kill for that?" Scott shook his head, throwing the scattered money back into the duffel bag.

"Woah, woah, what are you doing?" Stiles said, grabbing Scott's hand to try and get him to stop. Scott looked up at Stiles and slowly backed away from the money. "It's late, we've got the PSAT's in the morning."

"No, I meant the money. $500,000, you know how much money that is?"

"$500,000?" Scott replied dumbly. "It's half a million dollars Scotty." Maddie peeked her head through the door as Scott and Stiles grabbed the duffel bag, stuffing in the money and sliding it under Scott's bed. She snorted and sat on the bed, looking down at both of them.

"Yeah, let's just pretend like I didn't see that you guys stuffed wads of cash into a duffel bag and slid it under Scotty's bed." Stiles clapped his hands and nodded, clearly not getting her sarcasm. "Yeah, let's do that."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night." Maddie muttered and then looked over at Scott. "Why do you have all this money? Where did you even get it?" She asked as Scott started to scratch the back of his neck nervously. "Well..."

"Scratch that. What are you going to do with it?" Maddie asked another question, seeing as she was never going to get an answer for the first one. Whenever Scott pulled that move, he was just finding a way to stall, to lie.

"I have to talk to Derek, the money's his." Scott nodded and Maddie was already bored of the conversation, she didn't get why they couldn't just keep it. "You mean his and Peter's." Stiles butted in and grabbed the duffel bag from under Scott's bed, holding onto it tight.

"Ew, you mean Peter the prick? That Peter?" Maddie asked as she grabbed a grape from Scott's bedside table and started to chew on it thoughtfully. "What does that mean?" Scott asked Stiles, grabbing the duffel bag from him, completely ignoring Maddie.