Chapter Twenty Nine

William had been coming over every day but on this particular day, a few days after he returned, he and Josephine spent the first part of the day baking and bonding. It still felt surreal to Josephine, she feared that if she looked away from him for too long then he'd disappear, she had already been caught staring at him a few times that day.

They were currently drinking tea and snacking on the goods they baked earlier when someone knocked on the door and when Josephine opened it, she wasn't completely surprised by the person on her doorstep, she knew it wouldn't take long until Polly came over after what she saw the night before.

"Explain yourself girl." Polly didn't waste time and got straight to the point.

"Polly, don't misunderstand."

"You know how Tommy feels about you and here you are fooling around with another man." Polly pushed her way past Josephine and stepped into the house.

"I don't owe Tommy jack shit. You remember he cheated on me right?" Josephine caught up to Polly and pulled on her arm to stop her.

"You still love him though." They kept their voices hush, not wanting to bring attention to themselves.

Josephine didn't have an answer and Polly took that as an opportunity to rip her arm free and made her way into the living room where William was.

William stood up when Polly entered the room and shot Josephine a confused look, causing her sigh and step forward so she could introduce them,

"Polly, this is William. William, Polly."

Both of them got understanding expressions when they were introduced.

Polly's was silent understanding, she understood that she reacted too quickly and knew that she would need to speak to Josephine in private at a later time.

William on the other hand, his face lit up in excitement, "Oh, from the letters?"

Josephine nodded and smiled, she remembered that whenever she received a letter from Ada or Polly, she would sit with him and read them out loud. William always found them interesting and loved learning about Josephine's friends from back in England.

"I can see you're busy Josey. I'm sorry for interrupting, I'll talk to you another time." Polly said, her anger gone after she found out who the mystery man was.

"It's okay Polly, you can stay. It's no bother to me or William right?" Josephine wanted Polly to get to know William.

"Of course not!" William beamed, "I'll get us some more tea and cake."

William collected the used dishes that were on the table and went into the kitchen.

"He seems sweet." Polly murmured as she sat down.

"He really is Pol. He's wonderful." Josephine told her with a sincere smile.

Polly returned the smile, she couldn't blame Josephine for falling in love with William.

William returned with the tea and cake and sat down with them, at first he stayed silent, allowing the two women to talk but slowly Josephine integrated him into the conversation more, allowing his personality to shine through. They spend a few hours talking, Josephine and William telling Polly about their time in Sweden and other little stories and when they finally realise the time Josephine hoped that William had charmed Polly enough.

"I should get going, I have to sort out dinner for Finn and Michael," Polly said as she stood up.

"I'll walk you out." Josephine stood up and led her out.