You Left Me Behind

Start from the beginning

Camíla crossed her arms under her chest, “Don’t start this, Oscar. You know I wasn’t leaving Cesar to fend for himself. Is this how you really want to come home? To an argument?”

Oscar let out a small laugh, he swiped his thumb over his nose before standing to his full height. Immediately she looked from his broad chest up to his face, having to take one step back from his larger form. 

“You’re supposed to be gone. College for your degree. The hell you doin’ in Freeridge?”

Throwing her hands up with a scoff at how ungrateful he was that she stayed to care for Cesar, “We really doing this, Oscar?” All she got was a sneer and raised brow in return, “Fine, I stayed to make sure your brother didn’t fall into the footsteps of the Diaz men. I have been here getting him to school everyday for four years when no one else would!” A hand was placed on his cheek, and Camíla ran her thumb over the teardrop on his cheekbone, “I’m keeping Cesar from getting in too deep.”

Oscar pushed her hand from his face, anger swirling in his eyes, "Es mi hermano, no el tuyo! (He’s my brother, not yours)" Oscar's voice dropped, but he was still stern, "I decide what's best for him now." 

Every nerve in Camíla's body burned with rage, "You haven't been around in four fucking years!" She yelled, "Oscar, you have no idea what is best for Cesar now. He's not meant for Santos life," she pushed past him grabbing her small backpack from the kitchen table. "I'm not giving up on Cesar." 

Camíla did not look back to Oscar as she made her way to Cesar's room. The recently released man watched her walk away. Frustrated with himself, he pulled his lips between his teeth, running a hand over his lower face before following. 

Camíla knocked once, and peeked her head in, "Me voy cariño. Te amo. (I’m leaving sweetie. Love you.)"

Cesar stood from his bed, wrapping his arms around the one person who has been a constant in his life. Someone who actually nurtured him. "Te amo Míla. Gracias por todo." (I love you, Míla. Thank you for everything.)

Tears welled in her eyes as she hugged the teen. Everything was about to change, and she was scared. Scared for Cesar. Scared for Oscar, “See you ‘round yeah?”

“Absolutely.”

She gave a nod, and closed the door behind her.  Looking up, she caught Oscar’s eyes from the end of the hallway. He was posted against the wall, muscular arms crossed over his chest. He seemed more relaxed, but still on guard. 

“Can we start over, nena?”

He knew he messed up, but didn’t know how to say it to her. This was Oscar, and some things never change. Giving a nod with a small tilt to her lips, she started walking to the living room. Oscar caught her arm when she passed, and wrapped his arms around her shoulders. Her arms automatically wrapped around his waist. Relief flooded over as she found comfort enveloped in his hold. Sniffling, she rested her head against his firm chest. His embrace was warm and secure. 

“Lo siento, Camíla. (I'm sorry)” his voice was soft and low. Oscar brought their foreheads together with his large hands holding her face, “Thank you for being here when I wasn’t.”

Finally Camíla fully smiled at him, and he could not help but smile back to her, “I will always be here, Oscar. You can push me away, but as long as Cesar needs me, I’m here.” 

“Que pasa si te necesito (What if I need you?)” he asked, pulling her face closer, and her breath hitched.

“I’ll be here, querido,” Oscar didn’t need to hear anything else as he closed the distance between them. As soon as her lips met his, Oscar truly felt he was home.