THE OTHER SIDE

Plop!

Plop!

The soft sound of the coin hitting the water breaks my trance as I realise my cheeks are wet. I have been crying. I still remember how they dragged him away from me. They pointed fingers at me and said I was untouchable.

One moment we were sitting together hand in hand and the next I was shoved to the dust and he, drawn away kicking and screaming.

Baba had slapped me when he heard the whole thing. "You should know where we belong. We don't mix with the upper class." he had said.

Maa had just wiped her eyes with the loose end of the saree and disappeared into the kitchen.

"I love him. O, wishing well. Make me worthy of him, please." I wipe away the last bit of tears stepping away from the ledge. I take one last look at the pool of onyx swirling in the hollow of the monstrous well, before attempting to step down.

The rustling of my own footsteps on the worn stone bed, is the only sound around.

Whirr!

I hear the small chips breaking off from the stone just before my bare feet slip on it, water and all. My hands flay out to grasp the ledge for support but I miscalculate and I feel myself tumbling into the well.

This is it. The end. Maybe this is the only liberation from the system of castes binding our civilisation.

But I don't hit the water. I squeeze my eyes tighter, a scream barely registering in my throat, but there is no water. I feel myself hurtle down space in a free fall.

Plop!

I'm on solid ground.

I look around in utter confusion. Was I dreaming? I'm standing at the edge of the same well and the forest is calm as death.

I quickly clamber down to realise my body feels lighter than usual. I look down at myself and lo behold. I'm clad in soft white fabric, so fluid that it ripples in the wind.

'Sanya' an familiar voice calls. It's him. Veer is standing there in his six feet of gorgeousness, his honey brown hair glinting as it catches the sunlight.

"Come on," he waves his hand and a horse appears from the air. "Chakra has been searching for you for so long."

"Who's Chakra? And what are you doing here? If they see you with me -"

"Hey. You seem confused. Look I don't want to be caught sneaking in your palace grounds but you left your horse at my stable the last time you visited."

"My horse, my palace? What are you even talking about?" my voice comes out rather angry.

But before he can reply, five guards surround us. They're dressed in rich red and black, their eyes focused on him.

"I'm sorry. It's not his fault. I am leaving -" I began to say but one of the guards drop to the ground at, my feet. I'm flabbergasted.

"Your Majesty. Was he -"

I realise he's waiting for my orders.

My eyes catch that of Veer's and I can see pure panic in his eyes. And it all comes rushing back to me. My wish has been granted. I'm a Princess now. But the ways of fate worked strangely and somehow he's much below me in rank.

I sigh! This is going to be real tough.

"No. He just found Chakra and came to return him to me. Let him go." I'm surprised at the command in my voice.

The guards drop their weapon and Veer takes the opportunity to give me a quick bow before scampering off. He looks back once he's gone some distance and there's no mistaking the wink he gives me. I blush.

"Princess. You shouldn't be out here in the woods all by yourself. The giant of the mountains -"

As if in answer, a distant rumble shakes the earth. Thousands of birds vacate the trees and fly away screeching as a low guttural moan echoes through the lands.

"The mountains are stirring. Let's get back." one of them grabs the reins of my black stallion.

"Princess, its not safe to fly on Chakra. The giants minions could shoot you out of the sky. Will you be okay with traveling by yourself?"

Wait. So can I fly?

I look at, my back for any sign of a pair of wings. Nothing. But it'll be suspicious if I say no, so I put on my bravest face and smile at them. They take the cue and vanish into the air.

Is that flying?

I concentrate on my will to fly. A vein in my temple throbs with the effort. Something shifts inside me. The can feel the thrums of the power that run in my veins, innate and ancient. I'm levitated off the ground.

Flap! Flap!

A pair of large wings span across the sky, supporting my body. They glimmer as I soar higher, gossamer skin steadily navigating the wind. I feel the breeze ruffle my hairs. A laugh escapes my lips. I haven't laughed in years. I zoom and dive, taking in the feel of liberation, the giant momentarily forgotten.

Zap!

I hear the sound of the arrow right before it pierces my flesh. Darkness clouds my vision just before pain shoots up my right arm. I feel myself loosing altitude.

Zing! Zing!

Arrows shoot past me. Two explosions behind me make me realise those were aimed from the ground. I barely manage to turn around before a spot a swarm of black approaching me.

The closest of them look like a big leathery bug with a seemingly disfigured humanly head and hands. And it's holding a glinting black bow and an arrow poised for attack.

My consciousness is muddled again as I hit the soft grass. A pair of warm hands encircle me.

"Sanya!"

Veer's voice.

I look at my arm looking at my skin growing green.

"Poison!" he mutters, grabbing my fallen body tightly. "Let's teleport."

The night closes in slowly.

A/N 1000 words completed