Dilemma

'Still there's time to stop this!' he whispered, casually adjusting his bow

'What?' I asked, nervously playing with the lapels of my coat.

'The wedding, I mean.' Sam looked at me grinning mischievously — that one gorgeous heartbreaking smile of his.

I could have lived or died for that smile one day and yet here I was doubting if I should actually go forth with the wedding.

Was I rushing into it too early? Maybe I wasn't ready yet.

'How did you know that —' I managed to keep my voice as low as possible to not be heard over the droning of the priest.

'I've known you for years and you have got that crazed look in your eyes.'

I raised my eyebrows , surprised.

He cracked up but quickly hid it by feigning a cough. Several people stared hard in our direction with piercingly reproaching gazes.

'It's just that all this is so soon and that we are so different in ages, language and culture and religion and not to speak of —' I pecked at a non existent spot on my suit.

'And yet there was a time when we first met and that you told me you didn't care for all the differences.'

'You—' I stumbled over the next few words. 'You were the only thing that symbolised freedom to me, independence from the shackes of my own tradition and religions. I was tired of the restraints and the comments just because I am — we are — a different couple altogether.

The words of the priest were a meaningless banter of ritualistic speeches that rolled by us as we seemed to be locked in that moment.

'Love is love, Mark' he reproached.

'I still remember you and me grappling in that stupid wrestling match just because you wanted to show the new guy what was it like to be the boss.'

'And I remembered getting attracted to the intoxicating smell of your sweat as we fought.'

'You defeated me.' I was grinning from ear to ear now, remembering all those memories of the budding stage of our love.

It was a difficult time for me, coping with a sexual orientation I never dreamt I'd have. I found myself getting attracted to every guy that behaved nicely with me. I am not athletic and muscular. I have a poetic streak rather and hence strong men seemed to exude an aura.

Sam flexed his muscles, as if guessing the direction of my thoughts. They rippled with unbounded energy under the clothes.

'And you came and cornered me, almost knocking me out with a kiss!' his eyes glazed over, remembering the past.

'You looked completely edible!' I joked seeing that mischievous light come back to his eyes.

'Do you Samuel Josheph take Markian Christopher to be your lawfully wedded husband —'

'I do!' Sam interrupted.

The priest shot him a dirty look before turning to me.

'I do!' I shouted before he could open his mouth.

And Sam's lips were on me — hungry, wanting, fierce.

500 words completed. In collaboration with Romance