CUPID'S DECISIONS

"What the heck," he slammed down the smartphone on the table, glaring at the cherub standing in front of him, head lowered, his cute, round face, almost close to tears

"Sir," he tried to say, "It's not our fault. Humans these days have changed attitudes."

"But cupid can't afford to make the wrong match. What will those mortals say? Here I fixed their meeting on Facebook and let them speak on tinder. I manipulated them to meet in person, and now the boy has date-raped and dumped her. Now, where does that leave me?" his eyes flared.

"Hey, it's enough," a tall, stately lady entered the office and gracefully sat down on one of the leather couches, "It's certainly not your fault. You need to make millions of matches online every day. One mismatch is nothing. Just relax and have some coffee."

He clutched his blond hair in his hands and sank on his revolving chair, "These things are growing more. Just the other day, I fixed a match and the girl was killed after a few days of relationship. Failed engagements and marriages are a common issue. It is a headache to control people. Social media platforms are mushrooming and proliferating beyond my control, and any issues, everybody blames Cupid."

"You took out all your frustration? Now relax," the gorgeous azure eyes of Lady Venus glazed over, "See me. I didn't even disclose that Lord Mars is your father earlier, for the fear of me being called a slut and you being branded a love child. Now society has become more open to accepting such things. Live-ins are common and society has started accepting homos too. There are good and bad for every advancement."

"You're right," Cupid muttered, taking in a sip of coffee.

He picked up the phone and established the internet connection. Immediately his phone buzzed and vibrated.

He dropped it, waiting for the damned messages to stop coming. Finally he opened WhatsApp and ignoring 5764 messages form 2345 chats, he searched for the contact he wanted.

He placed a video call.

A girl appeared on the screen. Seeing her face was enough to soothe his tired nerves.

"Cupid, you look tired, what happened?" a soothing voice spoke as her luscious lips moved in an enticing way.

"Psyche," he sighed, "The usual, problems in the human world. The position of women in a relationship is deteriorating steadily. Degradation of morals has reached to a peak. Love has degraded to lust, girls are raped daily by men to satisfy this lust. Compositions of true love has turned to stupid pinkish emoticons on all social media. That's what the situation is and I'm at wit's end to manage the rising crises."

Psyche hadn't spoken for a second as he babbled on.

Finally when he looked at her, her eyes were moist.

She dabbed a handkerchief to her eyes and spoke in a choked voice, "I know. I've seen things happen in here. I've never told you, my beauty has attracted those wolves too. I've been groped and well..."

She stopped and shuddered.

"Not you too!" Cupid exclaimed jumping up from his seat, "How dare those filthy creatures manhandle my fiancée?"

"Love has lost its meaning. I don't think there is any need for Cupid Industries anymore, or any of its products, the love potions, pixie dusts and other exotic and erotic products," Psyche sighed.

"You think so?" Cupid looked at Venus, who was oblivious to all these conversations, "But Lord Mars and my mother has put in a lot of hard work to set up these industries. I need to stop all this blame game."

"As you wish," Psyche abruptly disconnected the phone.

"I hope that girl didn't just get angry with me," he mumbled.

He wanted to call her back, but thought better of it. Nobody would dare to confront Psyche when she's furious.

Suddenly his phone rang.

"Sir, Mr. Eros wants to meet you," a metallic seraphic voice sounded.

"Do I have a choice? Send him in," he commented dejectedly.

❤️~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~❤️

"Ah! Eros, long time no see," Cupid shook hands with him, with utmost politeness.

"Come to business brother," Eros grumbled stretching on the couch.

"I'm afraid, Cupid Industries is not up for sale. I don't care if we're making gains or losses, or however rich or influential Eros Greco International is. I'll make sure that Cupid Romania is not yours," Cupid said coolly.

"But I see your customer ratings are falling. You're losing control of the social media and crimes are increasing by the day. I guess the Supreme would soon want an explanation from you. Take my advice and collaborate with us. We'll be glad to take you under our wing," Eros' eyes smoldered dangerously.

"Get the shit out of here," Cupid screamed.

Eros left but not before warning him of dire consequences.

Cupid collapsed on his seat as soon as Eros was out of sight. His Greek counterpart was constantly pestering him to collaborate, but he knew that the moment he agrees for collaboration, Eros will make him his subordinate.

Again his phone buzzed.

Seeing the words 'SUPREME' floating on his screen, his heart skipped a beat.

The voice at the other end, didn't give time to reply, "Cupid, I'm coming to inspect your factory and if I find any malpractices, I'll definitely cancel your license for the matchmaking business and will grant exclusive rights to Eros Greco."

The phone dropped from his hand.

There has been a few cases which hadn't been documented, a few engagements and marriages were pending and some people were still in line to grab dates. Overall the business was disorganized.

The supreme teleported to his office just then, and without a word swept out of the office with his train.

He followed like an obedient child, cursing the advances in technology.

Somehow he was missing his quiet heavenly life and his bow and arrow. Being blindfolded was way much better that dealing with modernization.

❤️~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~❤️

998 words completed.

A/N Written for the millennium cupid contest by cupid TeenFiction Chicklit

Thanks to everyone for reading... Hope you like a different cupid....

Dedicated to tanuandchamp for her love...

Thanks Pipigrin KashishBelikov for your support and encouragement friends.