Fin destinée

It's midnight and I'm standing at the St Louis crossing

A car wheezes past. Someone tries to run across the road.

Thud!

Splat!

And a dark red liquid colours the road. A half mangled body is left behind as the car swerves to the right with a screech and disappears.

I see the time.

12.48 am.

I walk towards him casually, used to seeing all these daily. He's lying face down. I push him and turn his face up.

I can hear a scream coming from somewhere.
.............
And I wake up with a start realizing it was me screaming and I had been dreaming, dreaming of death like always.

But this death is something I needed to stop at all costs. I couldn't let him die. But what could I do to change fate?

Yes, I could reach there and push him out of the way. But then it'll be me who'd be hit. That doesn't matter so long as I'm doing it for the person I love, though he doesn't reciprocate.

I steeled my heart. I can change the prophecy. He needn't die.
....................
I wake up with a start and realize I'm late to reach the site. If I don't hurry up, I'd lose him.

Hastily I get in my car and slam down the accelerator as the car sped through the empty night. I put my GPS on navigation, easily dodging the light traffic at the wee hour.

As I approach the crossroad, I glance at my watch.

12.48 am!

Thud!

Splat!

My wheel lose control with a dark figure appearing in front of my car.

And my car hits it. But I don't dare stop. What if anyone sees me? I can't afford to be late to my mission.

My conscience picks though.

I abandon my car and creep back to the place. My casualty was lying in a pool of blood, the arms sticking our oddly at angles.

My blood freezes.

I drop to the ground.

I don't even need to turn the figure around to know who's it.

Fate has taken its victim, my love.