s t e v e; "nothing shocks me, im a scientist."

plot: bruce leaves you alone in his lab while he and the other avengers go to a conference, leaving you and steve alone

warnings: steve being cute af and bucky acting like a lil kid when he gets excited.

————

i have to admit, bruce leaving me alone in his lab wasn't his smartest idea ever. i'd already knocked over way too many of his most important chemicals by the time it had gotten to midday, and he'd only gone away and left me at nine.

"whatcha cookin' up?" a voice says from behind me as i pour some of the serum i'd made earlier into a vial and shake it up a little.

i turn around, still holding the serum, and see steve standing behind me with his arms crossed over his broad chest. he gives me a sort of half smile.

"i had an idea for a serum that'll help bruce maintain being the hulk for a little while longer, so he left me here to try and make it. although, i'm pretty sure i knocked over one of the chemicals i needed earlier and then just made myself believe that i needed something else." i laugh. steve's half smile turns into a grin.

"let's see." steve reaches out and takes the serum from my hand, cocking his head to the side as he tilts the vial and watches it move. he shrugs. "i mean, it doesn't look like it'll explode, so, whatever you did wrong can't be that bad."

i glare at him and snatch the serum back, setting it down in one of the test tube racks. "you're supposed to believe in me, stevie!" i fake whine.

steve chuckles, shaking his head at me. "alright, alright. i'm sure it'll be just fine."

steve pushes himself up onto one of the only clear counters in the whole lab. "well, i came to tell you some shocking news."

i gesture for steve to continue as i bend down to look for something in one of the cabinets. "we don't have a mission today. tony decided to call everything off after so many of us got hurt yesterday. this is the first time in all of my years being part of the avengers that a mission has been cancelled."

"wow. is that all?" i snort.

"what, that's not shocking to you?" steve asks, hopping off of the counter and walking over to me to watch as i pour some more chemicals into the serum.

"nothing shocks me, stevie, i'm a scientist." i joke, looking up at him through my goggles and patting his chest.

steve laughs. "i'll leave you to it then, you know, since you're a scientist and all."

i stand upright and blow the stray pieces of hair out of my face. "no. don't. stay." i say, smiling at him and taking off my goggles.

"if you're not busy, we can eat together. everyone else is at that conference so the kitchen's empty." i rush to put caps on all of the open substances that i've been using.