b u c k y; just maybe

Wakanda was a place you'd always wanted to go to. You'd heard about it, about how advanced they were, you'd heard about the force field that surrounded the entire place, you'd heard about it all. You'd pretended you were only excited to go and see all of the weird and wonderful things you'd heard about, mostly just so that you wouldn't be mocked by your friends, but that wasn't the real reason.

Bucky Barnes had been in Wakanda for two years. You'd had no contact with him, no way of visiting him, nothing. You'd formed a very strange sort of friendship with Bucky before he left, it started off as a strictly work-based relationship, you were only friends because you were both on Steve's side, but it had quickly become more than that.

Bucky found out about your past with Hydra, about how they'd done the same with you as they had him, brainwashed you for years and trained you to be their pet. He realised that you were a safe place for him. As much as you were over what had happened - you'd been with the avengers for years - you were someone who understood, and you were always willing to talk him down when he needed it.

Your friendship had gone from work-based to anything but. You'd go on days out together, for lunch or for shopping, you helped him to integrate back into society, no matter how hard it was. But you'd always known that you weren't just 'friends'. Bucky would sleep in your room sometimes, just so you could comfort him through his nightmares, but you'd always end up wrapped up in his arms at night and he'd stay until morning.

You hadn't been able to give what the two of you were much of a thought before Bucky had gone to Wakanda. It was so sudden that you'd had to miss him for two years, and the thought of seeing him again had your heart flipping in your chest.

And now, here you were, on the Quinjet, seconds away from landing in Wakanda. Your leg had started bouncing on it's own, a mixture of nerves and excitement coursing through your body. Natasha was sat next to you, reclined lazily, ankles crossed with her feet resting on a table.

"It'll be okay, you know. Strange wouldn't give the time stone up even if he was dead. Stop worrying." Natasha moved a hand to your knee, stilling your leg. You'd quite honestly forgotten why you were coming to Wakanda in the first place.

"Yeah. Yeah, I know." You were absent-minded and hardly even speaking to Natasha. She smacked your leg so that you looked up to see her smirking at you.

"I know why you're all day-dreamy." She said simply, smug. "You get to see lover boy today."

"Who's lover boy?" You snort, pretending you don't have a clue what she's talking about.

"You know who lover boy is. I don't blame you, it's been a long time. I kinda missed hearing you guys talking when you bunked up. It made me happy that you'd finally stopped being weird around the male species." Natasha was the only other person besides you and Bucky who knew about the pair of you often sleeping in the same room. Her room was next to yours, and she'd seen you letting Bucky in late one night when she'd gotten up to get an extra blanket from the common room.

"I kinda miss being weird around the male species. Means I wouldn't have had to miss him." Natasha knew everything about you, there was no point in trying to hide how you felt about Bucky when it came to her.

"Well, you don't have to miss him anymore, right? After today, he's all yours." Natasha gave a smile and patted you on the shoulder as she stood up. You didn't seem to have noticed that the Quinjet had landed until she was already halfway to the exit ramp.

You jumped up, trying not to make your excitement obvious, and got out of the jet with everyone else. King T'Challa introduced himself, and you shook his hand, trying your best to engage in whatever conversation was going on while scanning the small crowd that had gathered for Bucky.