48: Crazy

"Alex, after everything that's happened, I really appreciate you helping me find Leo." I tell him as we keep walking.

"After everything that's happened, I have to find him." He says and I grin at him.

Then my Louie rings.

"Hey, mom." I say.

"Where are you?" She asks me.

"Alex and I went to visit Leo. He was feeling a bit down, so we went to cheer him up." I tell her.

"Are you kidding? The conference is starting." Mom says.

"We'll be back in an hour." I say.

"I don't like this, Valerie. You and I are gonna talk when you get back." Mom says.

"Okay." I nod and we both hang up and I let out a sigh.

I slip my Louie back in my pocket and I look at Alex.

"Let's go." I tell him as he nods and we walk to the door.

He opens it for me, letting me go first and I thank him as he head in.

"Excuse me? Can you tell me what room Leo Cruz is in? We're in a hurry. Please?" I ask a nurse and she stops in her tracks.

"Well, isn't everyone these days?" She says and Alex nods as the nurse turns on her heels and open a drawer.

She then takes out a clipboard and shut the drawer. She walks back over to us and flips through the pages, trying to find Leo's name.

"Hmm. Not making sense." She says.

"Can you please just tell me what room he's in?" I ask her again.

"Young lady, I'm trying to do just that. I need a moment here." She says, nodding at me and then looks back down at the clipboard.

I nod, letting out a sigh as I look up at the ceiling.

"Leo Cruz, right?" The nurse says.

"Yes. Where is he?" I ask her.

"Okay. That's why I couldn't find him. He was released five hours ago." She says, putting the clipboard back in the drawer.

"What?" I say, my face dropping.

"We should've called Leo's mom before we call all the way up here." Alex tells me.

"I don't believe this. Two days ago, he could barely move, and now he's home? The messages saying that's he's doing well in rehab? Yeah fucking right. I don't buy this." I say, shaking my head at Alex.

"Val." Alex says but I ignore him.

"Excuse me?" I ask the nurse again but she holds her finger up at me, signaling she's on the phone and I roll my eyes.

I can't take this anymore.

"Excuse me? Hi, can you tell me what room he was in? You see, I'm his cousin, and he always leaves stuff behind. I'm sure his mom will really like it if I double check for him." I tell the nurse.

"I guess if you're family. Room 205." The nurse tells me.

"Thank you." I say as Alex and I turn on our heels.

"Okay." Alex says and we jog upstairs.

                                        ||

"Here. His bed is still warm." I tell Alex as I put my hand on it, still turning to him.

"Then he must still be here." Alex says to me and I nod at him.