10: Playing games

"Hey." I say to Leo as I walk over to the mirror.

"Hey there." He responds, rinsing his toothbrush under the sink.

"So what's with this PE class? I thought I joined the Ravens so I wouldn't have to run around a gym." I ask, softly brushing the ends of my hair.

"You know coach Davies was a Raven himself? He was one of the first coaches to use advanced stats in basketball." Leo informs me and I nod.

"I see you're really taking care of yourself with the whole dental hygiene." I say.

"I always take care of myself, Ramirez." He says, shrugging at me.

"Good." I nod, still brushing a few split ends out.

"So, about yesterday." He trails off.

"Yeah?" I say, looking at him through the mirror.

"I was thinking about it..." He trails off again.

"Yes?" I chuckle, growing a little impatient with him.

"There's no way Louis will just forgive Daniel for what he did. You know what that means, don't you?" He asks me.

"What?" I say through gritted teeth.

"It means there's no way he'll let Daniel remain captain." He says and I scoff.

"That's what you're thinking about." I state.

"Daniel being humiliated? Highlight of the day." Leo says to me.

Just yesterday he was all worried and trying to offer the Eagles help. Two faced much?

"Let's go, Ramirez. Rock n roll." He says, lightly tapping my shoulder and I nod as he walks off.

"Rock n roll." I huff, setting my brush down.

                                        ||

"So are we gonna talk about yesterday, or are we just gonna play games?" I tell Leo as I run beside him.

He glances at me as I give him a glare and before he can respond, everyone's Louie goes off.

"What's going on, Ravens? This isn't recess." Coach says.

"Daniel isn't captain anymore." Becca announces.

"What?" Coach says.

"See, I told you. I know the Greenhouse like the back of my hand." Leo says, looking over at my Louie screen.

"That's something you shouldn't be bragging about." I say and he chuckles at me.

I give him a final glare and I turn off my Louie and walk over to a different spot to stand.

                                         ||

"Good job, Leo. Valerie, you're up." Coach says and I nod as I jog toward the wooden obstacle and swiftly jump over but I then end up falling hard on my ankle and I already feel the sharp pain.

"Fuck." I mutter, slowly moving my leg out.

"It's alright, Ramirez. Just keep moving." Coach says and I nod as I try to get up.

A hand is then put out in front of me and I look up at Leo.

I take his hand and he slowly helps me back up.

"Thanks." I mutter.

"You know what? I bet Daniel will nominate Parker. So he can use him as his puppet, you know? What do you think?" He asks and I clench my jaw.

"Quit your twittering, love birds! C'mon, you're next." Coach says to Jackie and I turn back to Leo.

"I think I'm gonna go get some ice for this sprain and the ligament I just pulled." I say, glaring at him as I turn on my heels.

I take a seat on the bench and grab an icepack from the cooler, then wrapping it in a paper towel. I then turn my body sideways and elevate my right leg on the rest of the bench as I set the ice pack on the sprain.

"Max!" I hear Emma gasp and I look to see Max face down on the mat.

I let out a huff as I decide to take the icepack off my ankle and limp until I make my way outside.

                                         ||

"You left in a hurry." A voice says and I turn my head to Leo.

"Why, did I miss another Daniel update? And I needed some air." I say, crossing my arms and I get this weird sense of a smile playing on the corner of his mouth.

"How's your ankle?" He asks, taking a seat next to me.

"It's fine." I say, looking down at it elevated across a chair that I got from the garage.

"Good. And I guess you're saying I'm a little obsessed." He says.

"Just a little." I comment.

"So, what's up, Ramirez?" He huffs.

"Why are you doing this, Leo?" I ask, glaring at him.

"Doing what?" He says.

"Messing with my mind. Like I said, I don't play fucking games." I state.

"Come on, it was just a kiss. I didn't think you'd be the type of person to make such a big deal out of it."  He says.

Has he not met me? Or seen me freak out on multiple occasions?

"I'm not. You know what? Forget it. I wasn't even supposed to come to this damn place, anyway." I say, staring down at the ice pack on my ankle.

"Listen, you're a really cool person. I like hanging out with you and-"

"If you say it's not you, it's me, I swear to god, Leo." I say, turning to him.

He then nods and looks down, biting his lip.

"Fine. You're right. It was just a kiss." I nod at him.

"I mean it. I really like being with you. I just don't want the whole couple thing right now. That's all." He says, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"I understand." I state.

"So, we're cool?" He asks.

"Yeah. I guess." I nod, scratching the side of my head.

"Cool. We should probably get back." He says, looking behind him.

"You go ahead. I'll catch up." I nod at him.

"You're sure everything's okay? And c'mon, I'll walk you back." He says, looking down at my ankle.

"I'm fine. And it's okay, I got it. If I can limp while walking a mile to the garage, I'll be okay walking back." I say and he nods.

He then leans his head forward, kissing my cheek. But I could've sworn he looked at my lips first for a brief moment.

Okay, I'm kinda relieved Leo gave me a valid excuse. I thought there was something wrong with me.