Chapter Thirty Two

SCOTT

I thought of the straps of Aphrodite's bra on her shoulders and wondered how she would have reacted if I slid them down her skin. But I couldn't do that because she had to leave. I couldn't touch her, because although I knew that she really did want me, no matter what she said, I would refuse to be the one to start it. Aphrodite couldn't hide from herself for very long. She had spent too many years doing just that.

Later on in my storage space room, my guy Tommy and I stared intently at the monitor set on the news channel, watching a second segment dedicated to the capture of me and my men the police hadn't been able to find and arrest.

Lieutenant Paul Brooks, formally with the US Army before he'd joined the police force and assigned to the capture of me, was seen on the news heading a team of officers outside the home of a man after his disappearance had been reported by the housekeeper. Brooks made a statement in a press release declaring his utmost attention to the case, and that he would not rest until the criminal was in custody.

I stared at the determination of the bold Lieutenant as I smoked a blunt, and watched the heat and will to succeed clouding his eyes completely.

"Are you gonna kill him?" Summit asked me after I passed him the blunt, watching the screen and the way Brooks ordered his men around like dogs, a man fully intending on keeping his promises to people who didn't deserve them.

"Yes." I answered Summit simply and stood up. "I'll make sure Lieutenant Brooks don't keep his promises."

"Alright then, can we get back to these numbers? If you wanna continue to have the perfect hideout, then this storage rent needs to continue to be in business and look legitimate."

I ignored Summit and thought about setting Aphrodite free. I didn't know what to think of what had transpired with the black flower. Aphrodite was annoying me, making me do questionable things, making me feel like she was just a bug who was crawling underneath my skin. I didn't know if I liked it very much. If it were anyone else, I would have done away with them. If anyone else were so annoying, they would be dead. But it was different because I hurt her. It was different because she had taken care of me multiple times. I decided that I didn't know if having a woman around was such a good idea anymore, and that I no longer wanted to hurt her.

I thought maybe it was time for Aphrodite to leave.