Chapter Fourteen

APHRODITE

"Aphrodite?"

"Yes, Ari?"

"Why are you getting so dressed up?"

"I'm going to your mom's house." I looked at him through the reflection in the mirror. "I know you're a grown ass man, but your mom wants to celebrate your birthday at her house with family. I'm gonna help her with the party preparation." I sat in front of the mirror and fixed my hair.

"But I want you to stay." He said.

I smiled and went over to him. "I promise when we get home I'll make all your birthday wishes come true."

"Hm, really? Careful, you might wanna think twice before you say something like that."

"You know what, try to surprise me, Ari." I kissed him and left.

◇◇◇

"I'm in here!" I heard Ari's mom's voice in the kitchen. "Did you bring-"

Her voice was drowned out by the sound of a slammed door. I had just noticed a woman quickly passing me without even looking at me, she opened and slammed the front door and then vanished.

"Hmm, that was quick." Ari's mom appeared in the doorway, took the bag of food I brought from me and went back into the kitchen.

"Who was that?" I asked.

"Sienna." Scott's voice spoke up from behind me.

"Oh. Well, um, she- I-"

Scott smirked with amusement and offered me a cigarette, which I gladly accepted.

"What happened, Scott?"

"Nothing new. She came, we talked, she found out I won't be home tonight, she got mad and left."

"Why can't you be home tonight?"

"I have a business to run, Aphrodite."

You mean drug dealing? I thought but didn't say out loud. "Bullshit." I curled my mouth to the side, glaring into his eyes even though his were shooting daggers. "You wanna scare me, Scott? Come on, you know I'm not obedient. You can't scare me with a look, I have a pair scarier than hell at home."

"Speaking of my cousin, any chance you could bound him to the bed or lock him up somewhere for a week so he can stop ruining our business?" Scott sighed, his expression changed and sat down on the couch.

"What's going on?" I sat next to him.

"Let's just say he acts before he thinks sometimes. Ya know-" He shook his head. "I don't even know why I'm tellin' you this. You won't understand."

"Yeah, I agree. I can't understand because I'm no gangster. I'm just a gangster's mistress. And as a gangster's mistress, I'll give you some advice. All this stress will kill you sooner than some bullet. I don't understand why you guys don't just focus on your music and leave that life behind. And why don't you go home, throw your wife on the bed and let her scream your name so loud that all of New Orleans hears it. You're whining about Aristos, but you're like a walking bomb lately. And! For crying out loud... stop drinking! It's ten in the morning and you smell like a bar."

"Yeah, sure, Aphrodite. You definitely are a mistress 'cause you think everything can be solved with sex." He watched me with disdain.

"It can't solve everything, but it can make you relax and forget at least for a few moments. You're such a pain in the ass, Scott, seriously." I stood up ready to go back into the kitchen.