05 | zero o'clock

one night we sat up until after zero o'clock,

to stargaze and stare up at the moon despite it being a school night.

it was your idea,

to do something i loved, which i usually did alone.

we sat on the rooftop of my apartment complex,

with our hot chocolate cups and snacks, waywardly scattered on the small palette we rested against.

that moment was so peaceful and so beautiful just like the sky that night.

i remember you pointing out constellations to me, but one in particular stood out for me.

"fomalhaut."

you said, and rested your hands over your tummy.

this time it was my turn to be confused by the mention of an astronomical object.

"fomalhaut?"

i repeated, and looked over at you, waiting for an answer.

"it's sometimes known as the lonely star..."

you explained, and i felt a pang in my chest.

i wondered if you were going to personify that star like i did the moon.

"despite it being one of the brightest stars out there."

i was surprised at your words.

stars seem so clustered together, how could they be alone- i wondered.

"can stars really be lonely because i feel they're in abundance in the sky."

my thoughts slip and like before you listen, then respond equally meaningful.

"and so are humans on earth, yet there are still ones that are lonely."

you rested your arms behind your head and spoke so easily and profoundly.

"we're no different from the sky. it's like a reflection of what's on earth."

you continued, and i stared up at the night sky, allowing your words and the view to soak into me.

"how do you think of such things?"

i was amazed and wanted to know how you do it.

"the same way you do."

you smiled at me, and brought your head closer to my shoulder, and i felt a soft breath leave my lips.

"readers have the broadest minds, which could outrun the universe itself."

"i didn't know you liked to read."

i turned to face you, with a wide smile, and i watched your hair fall back with gravity, displaying your forehead that's always covered by your bangs.

"i work part time in a book store with jimin, who loves reading as well, so it's only natural i gave in."

i watched you purse your lips after you spoke, and that action puffed out your cheeks, and i was so ready to poke them but before i could you spoke up again.

"do you still like the moon?"

your voice was soft, and you finally turned to face me but i looked away, flustered.

"i always will, and if you and i are the sun and moon, then everyone else are the stars."

i admit, feeling soft at my confession.

"if that's the case, then i call you moonchild."

you said, ever so softly.