02 | make it right

at school that day, you smiled at me from across the hall

that damn smile, that damn smile which started my long descent into uncharted territory simply known as love.

but i could not complain and why would i in any case? because this feeling was like no other i've felt before, and it made me realise that i always want to feel this way.

always.

if i could describe it. it would be the most cliché way in the book. fluffy and soft. warm and fuzzy. safe and secure.

those things i've never felt before as sad as it may seem.

i smiled back at you, which you somehow took as an invitation to jog over to me.

i felt the butterflies flutter in my tummy- like a million of them had just been released, allowed to fly freely again.

"soo yeong ah~"

your innocent voice calling my name brought me back to reality.

i've always loved how my name sounded on your lips- sweet, not forced and the most accurately pronounced from everybody else.

i finally looked up at you, only to find you grinning like the dork you are.

i felt happy that you were happy.

i felt like i needed to protect that smile.

i felt like with you not smiling, not only me but the entire world would be hurting.

and i wanted to be one of those reasons you smile.

i shook those wild thoughts away and asked,

"why are you so happy today?"

with the slight hope that you'd say:

you

but you didn't.

instead you said,

"can i not be happy?"

my somehow how aching heart, circulated the courage to say,

"i didn't say you couldn't. i just wanted to know if there's a reason behind it?"

"there always is."

was your reply, and you gave me a sheepish smile afterwards.

but then, as if you sensed something deep within me that needed rescuing almost, you slid your arms around my waist, pulling me into a side hug.

which was warm, fluffy, secure, safe and fuzzy just as i had clichédly described.

internally, i didn't want you to let go but i knew eventually you would.

"you feel the happiness rubbing off?"

your words caught me by surprise.

how could i tell you it did, without sounding dumb and desperate? how could i let you know i needed this hug more than anything in this world.

how?

"of course."

i simply replied, with a small smile and somehow i found my arms snaking it's way around you.

"and you look like you're not ready to deal with these people for another day of the week."

i felt your hold tighten.

"you know me too well, tae."

we walked, stuck together, like two peas in a pod, towards class and you talked about how things at the book store was and you mentioned that there would be new stock coming soon.

but for me, it didn't really matter anymore because for once,

i didn't need the comfort of books all i needed was you

to make it right.