Sixteen

"What's wrong?" Victoria whispered.

"He's out again tonight." He shook his head. "It's not midnight yet."

"Who?"

"The white wolf." His voice shook.

"Has he not done this before?"

"No. Usually after he kills, he goes back into hiding for a few months."

She scrunched her forehead. "Very strange indeed."

He smiled and patted her hands. The fear on his expression disappeared. "Not to worry. I'll stay by your side and protect you."

"Oh, Jonathan, you're so heroic. But I shall be safe in my room, I assure you."

Once he reached her chambers, he stopped and circled his arms around her. He kissed her forehead, and she almost sighed aloud from relief that he hadn't captured her mouth.

"Please don't go chasing after your maid tonight. It's dangerous outside."

"So I've been told."

He kissed her mouth this time, but briefly. "Tomorrow I'll take you into Exeter. Would you like that?"

"Yes, very much." She touched his arm. "And perhaps we can ask questions around town about my friend."

He narrowed his gaze and frowned. "What friend?"

"The friend I asked you about yesterday afternoon. Miss Amelia Hartley."

He shook his head. "You didn't ask about your friend. What's wrong with her?"

Without being able to stop it, she released a loud gasp. What was he talking about? "You know...my friend who came to court you a few months ago."

"Victoria, my sweet." He stroked her cheek. "I don't know what you're referring to. You haven't mentioned anyone named Amelia."

Her heartbeat quickened as panic blocked her throat. "Yes, I did. When we went for a ride yesterday afternoon."

He chuckled and squeezed her shoulders. "My dear, I believe you have been day-dreaming again. I don't recall you saying anything about your friend."

Her breathing accelerated. What was wrong with him? Why didn't he remember? Or was she the one who'd gone mad? Lately, she'd felt like confusion constantly swam in her mind. Now it grew inside and threatened to choke her.

"Perhaps I've been in another world," she muttered. "With everything that has happened of late, it's no wonder."

"Very true." He placed a kiss on her forehead one last time and pulled away. "Please get some rest tonight. I fear you're not sleeping well, and that's the reason you're not yourself."

"I believe you're correct. Thank you for understanding, Jonathan."

She hurried into her room and closed the door. Tears welled in her eyes and she fought the lump of emotion forming in her throat. She had told him about Amelia. She had!

Taking deep breaths, she roamed aimlessly around her room, trying to sort her thoughts. It was this house. The secrets everyone tried to hide from her. And the irresistible man who tried to convince her he wasn't real.

Someone knocked on the door. Francine peeked her head inside. "Will you need my assistance? Mr. Jonathan mentioned you were out of sorts this evening."

"Yes...no...oh, I don't know." Victoria motioned with her hand. "Please come in and close the door." Once Francine was inside, Victoria asked, "Where were you earlier this evening?"