Thirty-Eight

Anger boiled through Bethany and she fisted her hands. There was one way to find out if this was indeed Justin. One person would know for sure.

Bethany spun around and marched out of the ballroom, glancing at the servants as she passed by. She didn't want them to suspect anything as she made her way toward the back of the house, looking for one person in particular. When one of the servants peeked their head out of the room, then quickly closed the door, Bethany cursed and marched toward the door. She didn't knock, but pushed open the door and walked into the small room. The servant jumped and scurried toward the bed.

"I thought I told you to stay hidden!" Bethany snapped.

The woman shrugged. "You did, but I just had to see how the party was faring."

"The party isn't faring at all! He is here!"

The servant shook her head. "He, who?"

"Justin, that's who!"

The other woman's eyes widened and she gasped. "He's here?"

"Yes, you imbecile. I danced with him. Not only that," she took a step closer, "he's with Victoria!"

"What? That cannot be."

"Oh, yes, it can. All you have to do is watch the two of them together. Victoria knows about him, I'd stake my life on it."

Frowning, the other woman folded her arms and shook her head. "I am very disappointed. Victoria was different from the other women. I wanted her to marry Jonathan."

"I'm quite certain she would have if she hadn't met Justin. That man is a charmer no matter what kind of beast he is."

The servant sighed and scratched her neck. "I'll take care of it."

"If you don't, I will! And I can assure you, my way will not be nice."

The other woman arched an eyebrow. "Are you threatening me?"

Bethany rolled her eyes. "You do as I tell you and I will do your bidding. We have an agreement."

"Not to worry, Beth. I will take care of Justin."

Bethany laughed haughtily. "Obviously, your way of taking care of him isn't working."

"What do you suppose we do about it, then?"

Closing her eyes, Bethany rubbed her chin. "I think I know a way." She looked back at her servant. "For months now, we've been trying to get Justin to tell us about the treasure map. The only way to get the truth is to take the girl to the island. I know she knows. She will tell us where the treasure is buried."

The servant chuckled. "And what if she doesn't?"

Bethany grinned and rubbed her hands together—feeling like the cat who was about to eat the canary. "Oh, she will. She's in love with Justin, and if we threaten to kill him, she'll sing like a lark."

* * * *

That was too close.

Victoria couldn't believe Bethany asked Justin to dance. How shockingly forward of that woman. Yet, Victoria should have realized Bethany was that kind of person. She was also the kind that would keep pushing until she got her way.

It frightened Victoria nearly to death to think Mrs. Maitland would discover Justin and Victoria had been seeing each other—and falling in love. This sneaking around needed to stop. They needed to find the treasure map. Soon! Instead of attending this mask ball, she should be upstairs with Justin right now trying to figure out the paintings to see where the artist had hidden the map.