Four

"Move in day! Are you excited?" Maura asks excitedly, wrapping an arm around her son's shoulders.

"Ugh, mum, can you not?" Niall responds, shrugging her arm off of his shoulder and making a face.

"Sorry love, I'm just going to miss you so much," she clasps her hands together, a small smile on her face and tears building up in her eyes.

This is quite a moment for his mother, Niall realizes. Her baby is finally leaving the nest and with his older brother gone as well she and his father will finally have a quiet household.

Niall places a comforting hand on his mother's arm, squeezing gently, "I'm going to miss you too. I'll be home for break."

"I know," she smiles softly, "What am I going to do without you?"

"I don't know, finally take up knitting?" Niall grins playfully, pulling his mother in for a hug.

Niall's throat gets a little tighter and tears prick at his eyes but he squeezes them shut tight, not wanting to cry in front of his mother. He certainly is going to miss her; the nightly home cooked meals, having his laundry done, the shopping done for him too, amongst other things, but he'd never admit that to her.

Their moment is cut short by his father and Liam coming out of the house, each carrying a box of Niall's things and bringing them to the boot of Liam's car, "This is the last of it."

"Oh," Maura coos as Liam walks over to the pair, followed closely by Niall's father, "My son from another mother. I'm going to miss you too."

Liam let's Niall's mother pinch his cheeks and hug him tight. He lets out a chuckle but returns her embrace just as hard. He surely is going to miss Niall's mother. She's always treated her like her own. When Liam was having trouble with his parents, Niall's mother always welcomed him into their home with warm arms. She really had no idea just how much she meant to Niall's best friend.

"You boys should probably get on the road," Niall's father says. His way of saying goodbye is clapping each boy on the shoulder and giving them a firm handshake, before heading back inside.

Niall shakes his head at his father but he wears a small smile on his face. That was one hell of a goodbye in his father's eyes, but he's okay with it.

"Are you sure you boys don't want us to drive down with you?" Niall's mother asks, a glint of hope in her eyes.

"Sorry mum, don't need you embarrassing us on the first day," Niall declines.

"Oh alright then," his mother rolls her eyes playfully, "One more hug for mummy."

Both Niall and Liam hug Maura once more. This time, Maura peppers kisses on their cheeks just like she did when they were young. This causes both boys to laugh and pull away, wiping at their cheeks dramatically. Niall mutters that this is why she isn't allowed to tag along.

"Goodbye my boys." The tears are back in Maura's eyes. She clasps her hands together tightly and watches the pair as they wave one last time and get into the car.

With a final wave to his mother, Niall settles into his seat as Liam pulls out of the drive.

"This is it," he grins over at Liam, "Ready?"

"Nialler and Liam take on college," Liam smirks back, "Been waiting for this."

________

"Finally," Niall cheers, dropping the box he was carrying on the desk in the room and spinning around with a big smile on his face. He flops down on his bed and grunts at the feeling of the thin, stiff mattress beneath him.