Chapter 1: The Girl No One Cared About

Start from the beginning

"Aren't you a little old to be reading this?" Bigs asked, holding up the book.

Valeria remained silent; she didn't feel obligated to respond. Plus, her focus was on something else – something she stole during the commotion. Wedgie's key-ring was bulky in her hands, and she did her best to steady them so they didn't make a sound.

"Whatever," Bigs said, turning away. He placed her book in the box with the other contraband, picked it up and yelled, "Alright ladies! Line up by the door. It's time for breakfast!"

The other girls filed into a line, and Valeria made sure to be last. She had expected the guards waiting for them by the exit, but they weren't the only ones there. A short, elderly lady yawned by the doorway. Valeria recognized her, the penguin-like woman had been her probation officer over the past two years. But there was another man standing next to her, one she had never seen before.

The man was tall, with black hair interspersed with grey. Based on his semi-formal attire, Valeria would have guessed he was a lawyer, but something about his face suggested otherwise. He had olive colored skin, a wide set jaw, and dark eyes that watched her every move. It was hard to pin down what troubled her about him. But she recognized the subtle smirk tugging at the corner of his mouth.

Valeria had seen a smile like that once before. She remembered how she had felt in that moment two years ago. She had finally felt visible. Important. Special. But it had all been a lie. The man she expected to be her new father figure back then didn't see her that way at all.

I was an object to him, Valeria thought to herself. I was just another possession. Nothing more.

Valeria watched their new guest from the back of the line until he broke eye contact with her, turned to the probation officer, and whispered something. Afterward, he collided with Officer Bigs and almost knocked the box of contraband out of his hand.

While the collision appeared harmless and accidental, Valeria swore she saw something else. A flash of movement too subtle for an untrained eye to notice. But she knew the man had grabbed something and held it behind his back. This was ironic; she was concealing a set of keys behind her back. When she reached the exit, the probation officer motioned for Valeria and the other guard to stop. They were the only ones left in the room, and the elderly woman nodded at the guard as she spoke.

"Thank you, Officer Wiggins. I have a special visitor for you today, Valeria," she said, motioning to the other man. "This is your uncle, Luis."

This was a lie. Valeria had no Uncle Luis, and while it was tempting to expose this smug figure's charade, she decided it might be fun to mess with him first. She offered a fake smile as she said, "Encantada de conocerte, extrano. Nunca tuve un tio." Nice to meet you, stranger. I've never had an uncle before.

The man smiled back. "Igualmente, Valeria, y lo haces ahora." Nice to meet you too, Valeria, and you do now.

Valeria looked up with surprise. The man's smirk had widened, but she didn't get a chance to reply before the probation officer came between them.

"Looks like you two are getting along," she croaked. "Could I ask that you speak in English please?"

"Yes," the man named Luis said. "I was just saying that I haven't seen her since she was a little girl. Right, Valeria?"

Valeria paused. He had answered with another lie. A smooth one that showcased just how charming – and deceptive he could be. She swallowed a lump in the back of her throat before finally deciding to play along. "Yes, it's been a long time."

"If you don't mind," Luis said as he turned to the probation officer, "I would like a moment to speak with my niece alone."

The elderly lady frowned. "We normally don't leave the delinquents alone with family members and..."