Chapter Four

Cecile.

All her life, Cecile had heard from her mother about how glorious it was. This was the very heart and soul of France. King Louis and those who had sat on the French throne before him had issued decrees and had ruled their glorious kingdom from this very city. Cecile's breath caught at the magnificence of the Louvre and the Palais Royale, and her heart thrilled to see the streets so full of people. People just like her and her mother, who had come to Paris to seek out a better life for themselves, whether it was through working for the king in his court or working to support those who worked for the king.

It was all a well-oiled machine, Cecile observed as the carriage took them through the winding streets of Paris. All of it worked in time to keep this magnificent kingdom running, and at the head of all of it sat Louis XIV, high on his throne.

"Pearls," her mother said suddenly, and Cecile turned to her, a perplexed expression on her face.

"Pearls?" she echoed. "What do you mean by that, Maman?"

Her mother sighed, seemingly exasperated. "Pearls, Cecile. We need to purchase you some jewelry for court, and I think pearls would look lovely on you. It's truly unfortunate your father gambled mine away shortly after you were born." Here Maman's lips curled into a sneer of disgust. Maman, usually so beautiful, now resembled a bitter old fishwife who had been discontent with her lot in life for some time. "But never mind that. With the money that has come to us, we can purchase a new set of pearls that will be very becoming on you." The anger disappeared from her face, and a smile brightened it once more. Like the last of storm clouds that had moved away from the sun, Cecile thought to herself.

But the money...

Papa had no money. He gambled it all away...

"I would love to have a new set of pearls, Maman," Cecile chirped, managing a smile so that her mother wouldn't suspect that she had some misgivings.

As the carriage wound its way through the streets of Paris, Cecile stared out the window at the hotels particuliers and maisons of the more fashionable neighborhoods. They were truly lovely, built in the baroque style, and she was sure that some of them even dated back to the time of Louis XIV's grandfather, le bon roi Henri, the founder of the House of Bourbon, who had come to the throne after the last of the House of Valois had died.

They came to a stop in front of a rather grand hotel particulier, which was set some distance from the street. The gates were of a fine wrought iron, painted black, and the cour had just been paved with new cobblestones. This was the home of a very rich noble family, Cecile realized, her heart beginning to beat faster as the carriage came to a stop in front of the door. A stableboy came to take the horses, and the footman leapt from his perch at the back of the coach to open the door for the two ladies.

Cecile gasped when she was able to get a good look at the building they were about to enter. It was built in the latest fashion and must be new, meaning that whoever lived here must have quite a fortune, while Cecile and her mother had none. She cast a woeful look down at the skirt of her black gown, which was last year's fashion and still a little shabby. Whoever lived here would very likely have lovely things in the latest fashion, and would laugh at her. That was how it always had gone back home, when the other young ladies had known that her father had been one who liked to drink and gamble away his fortune and leave his wife and daughter with nothing....

"Whose house is this, Maman?" Cecile whispered, grabbing her mother's arm and moving closer to her.

Maman glanced down at her. "This is the house of a very important family, Cecile. The St. Leons. The Comte de St. Leon has expressed a desire to help us. He has a grandniece who is just your age. I'm sure the two of you will get along splendidly."

Cecile drew a trembling breath as she followed her mother through the cour and to the door, which the majordome opened for them. "Madame la Baronne," the majordome said, bowing, "I shall tell Monsieur le Comte you're here. Would your daughter like to join Mademoiselle in the music room?"

A pair of maids came to take their hats, gloves, and cloaks. Cecile glanced nervously at her dress again, then passed her hands over her hair to smooth down her mussed curls. Mademoiselle — no doubt Mademoiselle de St. Leon was an heiress who had the most up-to-date dresses and the prettiest jewels and would simply take one look at Cecile and laugh. Just like the girls back home had done.

"Go on, Cecile. Follow the maid to the music room," her mother ordered.

Cecile looked up to see the maidservant, who was waiting for her. She followed the girl across the black-and-white marble floor of the vestibule to the music room. She could hear the sound of a virginal playing and a sweet voice singing, and immediately felt a stab of jealousy in her heart. Of course Mademoiselle de St. Leon was accomplished in both the virginal and singing, and, no doubt, other skills such as dancing and drawing. And the music room itself, with its light, airy furniture and paintings of birds and flowers upon the ceiling, made Cecile gasp with delight. She had never had such a beautiful room of her own, not like this. Her father would never have agreed to spend so much on a music room like this!

And the girl at the virginal wore a gown with an overskirt and bodice of dark blue watered silk and a light blue underskirt of light blue silk, with pink edging along the bodice. Her jewelry also made Cecile's mouth water; she wore a pearl necklace and sapphire-and-pearl earrings to match, and a dainty pearl ring on her left finger. This was what Cecile's father had gambled away from her and her mother, pretty things to pass down through the family.

The young lady finished her song, then turned to see who had entered the room. When she saw it was Cecile, she approached her with a bright smile on her face.

"So you're Mademoiselle d'Aubront!" she exclaimed, coming over and clasping her hands eagerly.  She let go of one of Cecile's hands and very gracefully touched her fingers to the base of her neck. "I'm Margot. Granduncle Roland said you and your mother would be coming here. It's so wonderful to finally meet you!"

"Really?" Cecile echoed, tilting her head. "He told you that Maman and I were coming?"

Margot nodded. "Yes, he did," she said. "Don't you know, Granduncle Roland has arranged the whole thing!"

"What has he arranged?" Cecile queried breathlessly, her curiosity piqued.

"Granduncle Roland spoke with the King and the Duc d'Orleans. We're both to be maids-of-honor in Madame's household. Can you imagine?" Margot exclaimed.

"Imagine what?" Cecile said.

"We'll be maids-of-honor to Princesse Henriette-Anne d'Angleterre!"