Valencia

"Valencia" Her mother began as they ate at the dining hall once more. "I've noticed you've been smiling an awful lot," Valencia felt the corner of her lips tug once more as the thought her new friend, Sir Yve, popped into her mind.

"It's nothing, mother. I'm just glad to be able to share my dinner with you." She answered. Queen Lyra's shoulder slumped as she gave her daughter a sincere smile.

"How have your studies been?" King Auriville asked once again.

"Sorceress Leota taught me about gencasting,"

"Gencasting? It's a little early to learn such magic," he states. Valencia shifted her gaze towards her mother who kept quiet by eating her meal.

"Sorceress Leota said that I should have learned it by the time I first received my wand." The king looked at his daughter with a frown.

"Sorceress Leota does not know any better." He says conclusively. Just as Valencia opened her mouth to respond, her mother, Queen Lyra intervened.

"Auri," she began, "Rumours have gone around the castle about Queen Elescia Blackwood wishing to strike an arrangement with Varya,"

"Nothing has been discussed with the council, King Sincere of Veyre wishes to barter our soldiers for some of their fine wine and I would rather have the wine than Ivar's whores!" He laughs loudly as he flails his glass of red wine spilling the contents onto the floor, "Ivar is afraid, you see, that retched Queen Elescia wasted their resources mining in the core of the earth for nothing but molten lava. Their people are beginning to rebel, they need our soldiers to retaliate but what do they have? Nothing but the whores in their streets!" He elaborated. Valencia stayed quiet, she knew nothing of the politics outside Varya but she knew only the little bits she could hear from her father.

"King Sincere wishes to arrange an engagement with his son, prince Arjen and our daughter, Valencia." Queen Lyra continued. King Auriville scowled at his wife and for the princess, her gaze darted at her mother.

"Absolutely not!" The king roared as he slammed his fist on the dining table once again clamouring the dishes. Valencia was relieved to know that her father agreed.

"Auriville, she is turning eighteen in 6 months and she has not yet claimed a suitor," Queen Lyra explained.

"I will not be marrying anyone, mother!" Valencia finally exclaims.

"Valencia, you are eighteen years old. You will be queen in the future, how will our kingdom strive without an heir?" Queen Lyra explained. Valencia sunk into her seat as the queen and king argue about the princess' future.

"Giving our daughter to Veyre will create chaos, Lyra. Our kingdom does not need to breed with another kingdom, especially with our daughter and her abilities. Do you know what King Sincere will do if he discovers our daughter's powers?"

"My powers?" the princess repeats. The king glances at his daughter for only a minute before looking back to his wife.

"Our soldiers, they can have but our daughter they cannot. She had not refined herself yet and I will not let them use her as a weapon."

As the sun began to fade into the horizon, Princess Valencia was escorted back to her tower where she waited patiently for the knight. It had been a couple of days since she had become acquainted with Sir Yve of Sisne but ever since then, she knew more and more about her people and their lives. She understood how currency worked and how it was traded to receive new things. She understood more about Sir Yve and her responsibilities as a knight. Valencia knew of her Commander, Commander Farwaters. She knew he was part of the council and is the right hand of the king. He had taught Valencia a couple of times when Sir Godart couldn't do so and Sir Yve even told the princess that Sir Godart was knighted the same day as Sir Yve.