Day 5

"That is a rumour!" Xenia exclaimed to herself. Her mother was talking to her sister and was sharing information she had gained kitchen various Whatsapp groups. Xenia was in the kitchen cutting onions, her eyes were teary and her nose was red reducing her tolerance level substantially. Throughout her mother's conversation, she shook her head and rolled her eyes. She remained silent when she released her mother would not stop no matter how many times she tries.

"Hi, Dad." Xenia heard Maier say. The kitchen and the spare room where right next to each other. The windows in their respective kitchens were not far from each other just like the rooms next to them. "No, lockdown is for 21 days which means until 14th April. Yes. No, I am about to have lunch. Yes, how did you guess." He laughed hysterically making Xenia smile.  "That is good. I don't have lemons. That day I was confused, I bought whatever was visible to me. Lemons were nowhere in sight. Yeah, I know it tastes better with Lemons. It is okay. I miss that too. How is the champ doing? I am going to miss his birthday this time. This reminds me I brought a gift for him and it is in my cupboard. Give him on 11th. Remote Control car. Yes, that one.  I did not get a chance to talk to them. I will call them today. Yeah. That is okay. Yeah, hm. Okay. Bye-bye."

Disconnecting the call Maier looked at the plate in front of him. With a sigh, he said softly, "I wish I had a lemon. And Coldwater. Ac maybe. Ah "  His phone vibrated as he was walking towards the other side of the room. Stopped in his tracks he started reading the message his grandfather sent. He was replying to the text when something came flying in the kitchen from the window. He paralysed for a moment, startled by the sudden movement. He had not analysed the situation when he saw a water bottle floating in the air. Without wasting time he took the water bottle in his hand before saying, "Thank you. You really do not have to do this. Your family might not like it."

"It's okay. I asked my mother and she was fine with it. Also, she asked if you have access to water or not. I think there is water in the tap but no purifier right?"

"No, purifier. I got a big can of water though. It actually finished in the morning."

"So what were you going to do now?"

"I was going to buy some in the evening if it is available."

"You don't have to," an unfamiliar voice said. "We will give you water daily. If you need anything else then let us know."

Unsure about the person he gave a nod to his head and said thank you. Before he could move or talk the voice talked again. "Xenia boil the milk before it spoils. I am going up on the terrace."

"Okay."

He counted one to thirty in his mind before saying, "what did you throw?" 

"Lemon."

"Okay. Where did it go? I cannot see it."

"It went right in that pot where I was aiming!" She said proudly.

"Well done and Thank you. I hope I can repay you someday for all that have done."

"You don't have to. Leave the bottle near the window when you are done. I will fill it for you."

"You don't have to. I will go and buy another can."

"The shop is almost empty. My father went there in the afternoon and said they barely had anything left. So until the shop is refilled there is nothing you can do."

"I will still try. Hopefully, I will get at least one can."

She nodded her head and then waited for him to leave the kitchen before resuming her work. After successfully tackling the situation a day before, she was still feeling proud of herself, she was still happy. However, a new assignment brought her back on the land. She was gone to her room and did not return until dark. But Maier was not lonely as he found a new companion that day.

It was around seven in the afternoon and Maier upon entering the kitchen saw Xenia's mother. Their eyes met and they both smiled in response. "You are all alone, right?" She asked to which he replied with a nod. "How are you managing then? The house must be a mess."

"It is not bad. I hired a maid to clean the house before I came here. But nothing is in working condition."

"That does not sound good but it is fully furnished so I don't think it is difficult."

"Yeah, that is a good thing. But the bed has some bugs I think. I have boils all over my hands."

"Ah! Keep the mattress in the sun for a day. Or maybe two and they will vanish."

"That will work? I did not know. I will do that tomorrow."

"Good. Oh, you are cooking? Do you know cooking or it's just the emergency service?"

"I know how to cook. I actually enjoy it."

"Really? I wish my daughter had said that. It's really good to hear that. What are you cooking?"

"I don't know. I am not well versed with Indian ingredients and I got nothing I know. So I add everything and pray."

They both laughed together before she said, "do you have anything to eat now?"

"At present nothing. But I will cook something."

"Don't cook. I am cooking."

"No, no, no. I will cook, don't worry. I have things here. I will make something."

"Cook tomorrow. I am cooking today. You must be missing homemade food."

"Not really. I cook for myself. I live alone."

"You don't live with your parents?"

"No, I live in a different city for work."

"Okay. How are your grandparents? I have not heard from them ever since they left. They came here twice and both the times I was not here. How are they? Do they live with your parents? They never came back."

"Yeah, they live with my parents. They have no one here which is why they stayed."

"Okay. How many siblings do you have? I know you have a sister."

"Yes. And one brother, too."

"Oh. You all came here one summer and there were so many kids it was difficult to say who was whose."

He smiled. "Yeah, we are a big family."

"Every family is big. It's now that people only have two or three children. Earlier things were different. But despite that, we were all close to each other. Nowadays people don't even talk to their own blood. That time was better in all senses."

"I guess I agree there."

"Tell me how spicy do you like your food? We add chillies as if we own a chilli farm. That must not be your case."

"No, I like spicy food. I won't mind it."

"I will still put just a little so that you can judge and tell me later."

"You really don't have to do this. I can cook. Like I said I like cooking."

"Then cook tomorrow. Maybe cook for all of us one day, but today I am cooking."

Maier did not insist more. His wish to have a good meal was stronger than his wish to be polite. He was good when it came to cooking however with fewer ingredients and lack of motivation a change was accepted with open arms. Xenia might have not had a good day, but with a happy and full stomach, Maier had a great day.