•{Chapter 11}•

Something's Blooming

Alastor's P.O.V

Arriving at the front doors, Alastor used his abilities to have the doors automatically part to let the two through. No one was around in the reception, which did Alastor some good as he knew Husk and Niffty would never let go of the fact that he looked so comfortable holding Harlene's hand. But how would Alastor go about faking such a strange comfort?
He'd been longing to be able to touch Harlene like Angel Dust was permitted to ever since they had met. He hadn't been able to forget the softness of her skin in his hold. Additionally, Harlene's continuous kindness had drawn him closer and closer to her, especially following the night she'd wrapped him in that blanket. Unsurprisingly, Alastor had been awake the entire time, as soon as she'd entered his office, but he'd chosen to test her by pretending to be asleep and observing if she stole anything or tried to caress him without permission. She hadn't, which only further increased his curiousness about her and how on earth she had ended up in such a dreadful place after her death. All Harlene had done was care for Alastor with that motherly attitude she seemed to have adopted from her months of pregnancy, during the last couple of months of her life, and in the process of keeping him warm, she'd made sure not to touch him in the slightest to respect his distaste towards being touched by others. Yet, Harlene appeared to have become an exception; the only exception.

This has never happened before. There's a strange sensation in my chest, Alastor thought, then let his grin expand. I must ensure that those scum are dealt with. They will never know her warmth again.

"I can go to my room from here," Harlene mewed, glancing up into his stare and taking off his pinstriped coat, which she handed back to him. "Thank you for taking me back home."

"Home?" Alastor repeated with interest, putting the jacket back on while Harlene flushed in embarrassment.

"Oh, w-wow. I guess I really view this place as home already," she stammered, then flashed Alastor one of her sweet smiles and giggled. "Yes, I think I do. I really do love this hotel very much." She tilted her head and closed her eyes. "Don't you?"

The thing in his chest skipped a beat. Alastor hated it when she managed to do that to him. That damned, gorgeous way of smiling always caught him off guard. Nevertheless, Alastor never showed it and refrained from changing the look he was giving her into anything gentler.

"It's an interesting idea," was all Alastor said.

An idea that lacks functionality. After all, if it did work, the angels would have taken you to Heaven already, he thought, then watched as Harlene pulled away from him and restrained himself from grabbing her hand back into his hold as her hand drifted out from his own. And something that I plan to destroy. He clasped his hands behind his back. But how am I to go about doing that now? You love this place. You've already lost too much. How much more can your feeble heart take? I cannot afford to risk ruining this friendship that we've built.

"Okay then. I'll try to work out what that means," Harlene laughed smally. "Goodnight, Alastor."

He raised an eyebrow. "Are you actually going to go to sleep, or are you going to sit in your bed all night?"

She winced. "How did you know-?"

"I can only assume that's what you do all night instead of sleeping, unless you have some sort of entertainment in your room that you have failed to mention," Alastor replied. "A board game, or perhaps a book? Painting?"

"I may not sleep, but I'm too tired to paint at night. And a board game usually consists of two players, no?" Harlene said, amused by his curiosity. "I would love to read a book though."